This tutorial is a modified version of the original developed by Kelsey Hightower.
This repository holds the supporting material for the Certified Kubernetes Administrators Course. There are two major sections.
Kubernetes The Hard Way On VirtualBox
This tutorial walks you through setting up Kubernetes the hard way on a local machine using VirtualBox. This guide is not for people looking for a fully automated command to bring up a Kubernetes cluster. If that's you then check out Google Kubernetes Engine, or the Getting Started Guides.
Kubernetes The Hard Way is optimized for learning, which means taking the long route to ensure you understand each task required to bootstrap a Kubernetes cluster.
This tutorial is a modified version of the original developed by Kelsey Hightower. While the original one uses GCP as the platform to deploy kubernetes, we use VirtualBox and Vagrant to deploy a cluster on a local machine. If you prefer the cloud version, refer to the original one here
Another difference is that we use Docker instead of containerd. There are a few other differences to the original and they are documented here
The results of this tutorial should not be viewed as production ready, and may receive limited support from the community, but don't let that stop you from learning!
The target audience for this tutorial is someone planning to support a production Kubernetes cluster and wants to understand how everything fits together.
Kubernetes The Hard Way guides you through bootstrapping a highly available Kubernetes cluster with end-to-end encryption between components and RBAC authentication.
- Kubernetes 1.13.0
- Docker Container Runtime 18.06
- CNI Container Networking 0.7.5
- Weave Networking
- etcd v3.3.9
- CoreDNS v1.2.2
- Provisioning Compute Resources
- Installing the Client Tools
- Provisioning the CA and Generating TLS Certificates
- Generating Kubernetes Configuration Files for Authentication
- Generating the Data Encryption Config and Key
- Bootstrapping the etcd Cluster
- Bootstrapping the Kubernetes Control Plane
- Bootstrapping the Kubernetes Worker Nodes
- TLS Bootstrapping the Kubernetes Worker Nodes
- Configuring kubectl for Remote Access
- Deploy Weave - Pod Networking Solution
- Kube API Server to Kubelet Configuration
- Deploying the DNS Cluster Add-on
- Smoke Test
- E2E Test
- Extra - Dynamic Kubelet Configuration