Localname - Provide Secure Access to Your Local Development Server
No longer fiddle with router configurations, IP's or ports. Localname provides a single URL that just works.
- Live Preview: Show your work to anyone. Get instant feedback from your designer, client, tester or project manager. No source control (such as Git) or deployments required
- Mobile App Testing: Test your mobile app backend from a real device without having to fiddle with local network configurations
- Webhooks: Implement webhooks by providing a real callback URL to your development machine
Here is how our website used to look:
- The server has been tested on Linux and macOS, might or might not work on Windows
- We only have a macOS client at the moment (but feel free to contribute!)
This project was part of the Bugfender suite of developer tools to make developer's life a little bit easier every day.
This project is usable, although we do not intend to actively continue development.
You will need to deploy a server and build a client in order to use Localname:
- You will need a Linux or macOS server, follow the instructions in
- To build the macOS client you will need Xcode, check the instructions on
Pull-requests are welcome, by making them you understand we will publish them under the current license.
Some top-requested features you can contribute on:
- A system for reserving domain names to specific users
- Inspection of the HTTP traffic being redirected
- URL rewriting in server resposnes, for servers who are unaware of their public URL
- Routing of pure TCP traffic (non-HTTP)
- Store & forward of webhook messages if client is offline
You can download and run Localname on your own server for free.
Mobile Jazz can run a Localname server for you, implement enhancements, etc. for a fee. If you're interested, please contact us for a quote.