Getting Started with Python for Earth Sciences
Eviatar Bach at AGU Fall Meeting 2019, content by Rebekah Esmaili, Kriti Bhargava, and Eviatar BachPresented by
A four hour crash course in Python focusing on reading and visualizing data-sets used in Earth sciences. The material here has been modified from the courses taught earlier by Rebekah Esmaili, Kriti Bhargava, and Eviatar Bach.
This course covers the following:
- Basics of Jupyter Notebooks and NumPy
- Reading tabular files using pandas, basic plotting using Matplotlib
- Reading NetCDF files and doing operations on N-dimensional arrays using xarray
- Geographical plotting using Cartopy and regridding using pyresample
- Basic use of Git and Panoply
To run this you need Anaconda installed on the computer. Installation instructions are provided for Linux, Mac, and Windows here.