>_ Root the Box
Root the Box is a real-time capture the flag (CTF) scoring engine for computer wargames where hackers can practice and learn. The application can be easily configured and modified for any CTF style game. The platform allows you to engage novice and experienced players alike by combining a fun game-like environment with realistic challenges that convey knowledge applicable to the real-world, such as penetration testing, incident response, digital forensics and threat hunting.
Screenshots & Demo
Additional platform screenshots and game examples.
RootTheBox Demo – Note it may take a few seconds to wake up. Also, please don't change passwords on the example accounts, but feel free to register a new user.
- Admin Username
- Player Username
If you’re using RootTheBox, please ★Star this repository to show your interest!
- Team Play or Individual Play
- Real-time animated scoreboard, graphs, and status updates using websockets
- Flag Types: Static, Regex, Datetime, Multiple Choice, File - w/options for case sensitivity
- Options for Penalties, Hints, Attempts, Level Bonuses, Dynamic Scoring, Categories and more
- Built-in team based file/text sharing and Admin game material distribution
- Integrated CyberChef in tools menu
- Chat support, with optional Rocket Chat integration
- CTF Time compatible JSON scoreboard feed
- Supports OWASP Juice Shop CTF export
- Freeze scoreboard at a specific time allowing for end game countdown
- Optional Story Mode - Supports intro dialog, capture Flag or Section dialog w/graphics
- Optional Advanced Features, such as in-game botnets, "SWAT" players, banking (in-game) money, and wall of sheep displaying cracked passwords
- Allows for unlocks and upgrades as users capture flags
- Export and share Boxes/Flags
- Multiple Language Support
- Deploy in the Cloud, with Docker, or Direct.
- Site Themes and other cool stuff
See the Root the Box Wiki
- Python 3, PyPy or Docker.
- Install scripts are for Ubuntu >= 18.04 (or Debian) but the application should work on any recent Linux, BSD, MacOS, or Windows system.
Questions? Problems? Feature Requests?
Create an issue on GitHub if you have any questions, problems or feature requests. We're happy to help you out with setup/configuration/edits and we're always brainstorming new ideas and looking for cool stuff to add!
We welcome code contributions, please see our contributing guidelines on the wiki for more information.