A project to build a Moodle server and Wi-Fi router on a Raspberry Pi 3.
The MoodleBox Documentation
Visit the MoodleBox web site for more information about the MoodleBox features or any question about the usage of a MoodleBox.
Asking Support Questions
We have an active discussion forum where users and developers can ask questions. Please don't use the GitHub issue tracker to ask questions.
Building the MoodleBox disk image from scratch
To build a MoodleBox from scratch with this script, you need a Raspberri Pi 3 or 3B+ (Wi-Fi!).
- Clone Rasbpian Stretch Lite on your microSD card.
- Create a
sshfile on the
bootpartition, e.g. using
- Insert the microSD card into your Raspberry
- Connect your Raspberry to your Ethernet network and boot it.
- Install Ansible on your computer.
- Clone this repository to your local drive.
- Create a
keysdirectory in the repository folder and copy your public key into it, under the name
- Get the IP address of your RaspberryPi and change it in the
hosts.ymlfile. Do not change anything else, unless you know what you're doing. You're on your own.
ansible-playbook moodlebox.ymlfrom the repository folder.
- Wait 30–50 minutes, depending on your SD card and Internet bandwidth. You're done.
You can override any of the defaults configured in
default.config.yml by creating a
config.yml file and setting the overrides in that file. For example, you can change the MoodleBox main credentials and the timezone with something like:
moodlebox_username: 'myusername' moodlebox_password: 'secret' moodlebox_timezone: 'Australia/Perth'
Any variable can be overridden in
config.yml; see the file
default.config.yml for a list of available variables.
The code is available at https://github.com/moodlebox/moodlebox.
See Release notes.
- To Daniel Méthot, for the idea of a MoodleBox
- To Christian Westphal, for the first POC of a MoodleBox
- To the Raspberry Pi Foundation, for a splendid small computer
- To Martin Dougiamas, for giving us Moodle, and to the Moodle community
Copyright © 2016 onwards, Nicolas Martignoni firstname.lastname@example.org
- All the source code is licensed under GPL 3 or any later version.
- The documentation is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.