MoodleBox – Release notes
All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file.
This project adheres to Semantic Versioning and follow principles of keep a changelog.
Version 3.10.0, 2021-03-20
- Update to Raspberry Pi OS version 2021-01-11 (issue #192).
- Move continuous integration to Github actions (issue #190).
- Update to v2.9.0 of MoodleBox plugin (issue #194).
- Provide image in Bzip2 compression, saving about 50 MB (no issue number).
- Support of Raspberry Pi 400 via version 2.9.0 of MoodleBox plugin (issue https://github.com/moodlebox/moodle-tool_moodlebox/issues/93).
- Set Moodle system paths to appropriate values (issue #197).
- Configure some Moodle settings (issue #198).
- SSH key added in developement builds (no issue number, commits 0aa322d690fefbf7419b8c4d040bf73afabc3ed1 and e6b77acb2c8bb8b043caeea64f858322add5526f).
Version 3.9.0, 2020-11-08
- Restore WiFi AP capacity to about 30 clients via downgrading WiFi firmware (issue #196, PR #196, #200).
- Enhance issue templates (no issue number, commits 91f670077e38a39ca16c30981228dfe3c7d992f9, 506216571f2c07ec840d3c2783cdc88798b4cb3b and 99e9588596d38943d60df5a68f59cb965277c232).
- Update to Moodle 3.10 (issue #185).
- Update to Raspberry Pi OS version 2020-08-20 (issue #183).
- Update Mathjax library to version 2.7.9 (issue #188).
- Move upgrade tasks and files to specific branch (no issue number; commit 6ffe5f8; see issue #111).
- Remove build assets from repository (no issue number; commit d2b2916).
- Refactor roles (#181, commits 9ea8ac3, 2d92721, e3b564f).
- Remove useless screen blanking setting (no issue number; commit a84a802).
- Remove useless theme SCSS compilation task (no issue number; commit 51d7119).
- Do not remove whole Moodle source when uninstalling (no issue number; commit 6f29254).
- Add debug messages (no issue number; commits e804d6e, 04008c4, 1ead61a, b6865ae, 4338aa0).
- Add custom 'crt' file type in
config.php for certificate (no issue number; commit bc67beb).
Version 3.8.0, 2020-07-25
- Fix incron role idempotency (no issue number; commit 4fc16cd).
- Fix role for inexistent file (no issue number; commit a02af69).
- Fix timezone to correctly reflect MoodleBox origin country (no issue number; commit c8cbc2e).
- Silence a warning (no issue number; commit 8215a74).
- Increase timeout after cleanup (no issue number; commit b99b04c).
- Add two more files where to change pi name account (no issue number; commit c163f52).
- Update Moodle to latest stable 3.9.x version (no issue number).
- Update Moodle to latest stable Adminer version (no issue number).
- Update MoodleBox plugin to version v2.7.0 of (issue #179).
- Update Nodogsplash to version 5.0.0 (issues #177).
- Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB model is now fully supported (via issue #179).
Version 3.7.0, 2020-06-15
- Fix definitely WiFi disabled issue on Raspberry Pi 3B (issue #176).
- Fix for php7.3-fpm SIGSEGV problem (issue #142).
- Fix Nodogsplash bad redirect (issue #162).
- Update Moodle to version 3.9.0 (issue #173).
- Update to Raspberry Pi OS version 2020-05-27 (issue #172).
- Update MoodleBox plugin to version v2.6.0 of (issue #174).
- Update Nodogsplash to version 4.5.1 (issues #169, #175).
- Update MathJax to version 2.7.8 (issue #170).
- Add temporary workaround for WiFi disabling problem when swapping device (issue #176).
Version 3.6.0, 2020-02-12
- Fix file ownership and permissions to enable edition by default user (issue #166).
- Update Ansible instructions (issue #167).
- Remove useless PHP module (no issue number).
- Update Moodle to version 3.8.1+ (issue #161).
- Update to Raspbian version 2020-02-05 (issue #163).
- Update MoodleBox plugin to version v2.5.0 of (issue #160).
- Update Nodogsplash to version 4.4.0 (issue #159).
- Update MathJax to version 2.7.7 (issue #164).
Version 3.5.1, 2019-11-30
- Add support for multiple subdomains (issue #158).
- Add temporary workaround for php7.3-fpm outages (issue #142).
Version 3.5.0, 2019-11-18
- Fix partition auto-resize (issue #157).
- Update Moodle to version 3.8.0 (issue #156).
- Update to Raspbian version 2019-09-26 (issue #149).
- Update MoodleBox plugin to version v2.4.2 of (issue #152).
- Update MathJax to version 2.7.6 (issue #154).
- Update Nodogsplash to version 4.3.2 (issue #153).
- Add support for HTTPS connexion (issue #27). This feature is not enabled by default; it must be manually enabled by a technically savvy administrator. See MoodleBox documentation.
Version 3.1.0, 2019-08-23
- Fix author link (no issue number, commit b336068).
yamllint to CI (no issue number)
Version 3.0.0, 2019-07-13
yaml syntax (no issue number)
- Updated to version v2.2.0 of MoodleBox plugin (issue #136).
- Updated to Moodle 3.7.1 (issues #125 and #135).
- Updated to PHP7.3 (issue #94).
- Based on Raspbian Buster Lite version of 2019-07-10 (issue #139).
- Updated MoodleBox CSS preset (no issue number).
- Replace phpMyAdmin by Adminer (issue #132).
- Raspbian Buster support (issue #129).
- Raspberry Pi 4B (all RAM models) support (issue #136).
Version 2.7.0, 2019-05-20
- IP forwarding on Buster (issue #129).
- Cleanup a database table (issue #138).
- Renaming home directory logic updated (no issue number).
- Broken image links in Nodogsplash (no issue number).
- IP filter syntax fixed to work with Ansible 2.8 and later (no issue number).
- Several warnings with Ansible 2.8 fixed (no issue number).
- Updated to version v2.0.0 of MoodleBox plugin (issue #127).
- Updated to Moodle 3.6.4 (issue #128).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2019-04-08 (issue #122).
- License is now AGPL (no issue number).
- Captive portal using Nodogsplash added (issue #120, PR #123). Inactive by default, needs to be started manually.
- Install default english Moodle locale: en_AU.UTF-8 to prevent false alerts with Moodle 3.7.0 and later (no issue number).
Version 2.6.2, 2019-02-03
- Fix a bug introduced by an update to
hostapd (issue #121).
- Fix plugin permissions on executable files (issue #126).
- Fix some warnings to Ansible playbooks (issue #119).
- Some fixes to preliminary version of upgrade script, still undocumented (issue #111). Use at your own risk.
- Updated to Moodle 3.6.2 (issue #118).
- Preliminary version of upgrade script, undocumented (issue #111).
Version 2.6.1, 2018-12-09
- Bug preventing correct completion of script fixed (issue #117). Thanks to @GXiangCo for the report.
- Several potential idempotence problems fixed (no issue number).
Version 2.6.0, 2018-12-03
- Updated to Moodle 3.6.1 (issue #113).
- Revert to PHP7.0 (issue #114).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2018-11-13 (issue #109).
- Uses now PHP7.1, with a slight performance gain (issue #100).
- Updated to Moodle 3.6 (issue #101).
- Updated to version v1.12.2 of MoodleBox plugin, enabling SSID hiding (issue #112).
- Username of default admin account changed to moodlebox (issue #96).
- Updated to last version of
iptables_row ansible module (issue #103).
- License change to AGPLv3 (issue #105).
- Ghostscript is installed by default, enabling PDF annotations (issue #108).
Version 2.5.1, 2018-10-13
- Save some space by cloning a shallow clone of MoodleBox plugin (issue #104).
- Fix Ansible deprecation warning displayed when installing packages (issue #110).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2018-10-09 (issue #91).
- Updated to version v1.12.1 of MoodleBox plugin (issue #93).
- Directory permissions of Moodle source directory updated, to enable direct update of the Moodle installation without Git (issue #92).
- Temporary storage settings cleaned up.
Version 2.5.0, 2018-08-16
- MathJax library URL is now relative. No more change needed if the domain name of the MoodleBox is changed (issue #89).
- Some image file sizes reduced.
- Updated to version v1.12.0 of MoodleBox plugin (issue #84).
- MathJax library updated to version v2.7.5 (issue #87).
- Prevent wrong change of database password from within phpMyAdmin (issue #85).
- Tasks re-ordered and reboot added (issue #82).
Version 2.4.2, 2018-07-10
- Add sudoers file to allow new feature of MoodleBox plugin (issue #83).
Version 2.4.1, 2018-06-12
- Incron job added to support SD card partition resizing (issue #80).
- Continuous integration with Travis CI added (first step).
Version 2.4.0, 2018-05-17
- Default Wi-Fi AP channel changed to 11 (issue #74).
- Ansible Lint errors and warning fixed.
- Change DNS to new Cloudflare ones, for privacy (issue #67).
- Custom Moodle course backup directory officially supported (issue #68).
- Updated to Moodle 3.5 (issue #69).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2018-04-18 (issue #70).
- Module iptables_raw for Ansible updated (issue #72).
- Updated to version v1.10.2 of MoodleBox plugin.
- Allow installation of unstable Moodle version (issue #73).
Version 2.3.0, 2018-03-21
- Deprecated usage of tests as filters in Ansible 2.5.0 (issue #71).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2018-03-13 (issue #63).
- Updated to Moodle 3.4.2 (issue #64).
- Updated to version v1.10 of MoodleBox plugin, enabling support of arbitrary chars in SSIDs.
Version 2.2.0, 2018-03-02
- Support Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (issue #65).
- Enabled startup/shutdown with hardware button, if present (issue #53).
- Now supports NTFS and exFAT formatted drives (issue #59 and #61).
- Moodle themes SCSS are now compiled after installation (issue #55).
Version 2.1.0, 2018-01-02
- Cron spamming the logs (issue #60).
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2017-11-29.
- Building is now done using Ansible (issue #48).
- Display info at SSH login (issue #51).
Version 2.0.1, 2017-11-27
- Moodle installation directories no more hardcoded (issue #49).
- Top level domain name no more hardcoded (issue #52).
Version 2.0, 2017-11-18
- Bug when trying to restore courses now really fixed (issue #45).
- Updated to Moodle 3.4 (issue #44).
- Public DNS changed to more neutral ones (DNS.WATCH).
- MathJax library added to enable it to function when MoodleBox disconnected from Internet (issue #43).
Version 1.9.5, 2017-11-01
- Bug when trying to restore courses is fixed (issue #45).
- Network configuration updated, for better maintainability (issue #39).
- Enable separate log file for dnsmasq.
- Updated to version v1.8 of MoodleBox plugin.
- File created on the MoodleBox to allow easy finding of version (issue #38).
- German version of summary texts added (see issue #36).
Version 1.9.4, 2017-09-29
- Course backup size is no more limited by size of RAM temp partition (issue #18).
- Miscellaneous small fixes.
- Extend DHCP range and reduce lease time to enable more IP addresses (issue #30).
- Revert previous fix for USBmount failure and fix it definitely (issue #21).
- Install Moodle in English, as default language (issue #35).
- Repository names changed (issue #33).
- Documentation file
MoodleBox.tex removed from repo (issue #34).
- Updated to version v1.7.1 of MoodleBox plugin.
- Install more common languages locales (issue #36).
Version 1.9.3, 2017-09-11
- Set default locale to "en_GB" instead of "fr_FR" (issue #29).
Version 1.9.2, 2017-09-05
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2017-09-07.
- Updated to version v1.7.0 of MoodleBox plugin for Moodle (new Wi-Fi settings options available).
- Re-enable predictable network interface name, which is now disabled in Stretch image.
Version 1.9.1, 2017-08-23
- Change script for compatibility with version v1.6.0 of the MoodleBox plugin for Moodle.
- Fix issue #25 (non-persistent setting of IP forwarding rules) using
Version 1.9, 2017-08-18
- Moodle source is now installed in a new folder, preserving original nginx installation.
- Debian Stretch!
- Based on Raspbian Stretch Lite version of 2017-08-16.
- Updated to Moodle 3.3.1+.
- Prompt color of moodlebox shell user changed to orange.
Version 1.8.1, 2017-07-08
- Fixed automount of USB drives, replacing USBmount.
- Screen blanking is now turned off.
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2017-07-05.
- Uses now new MariaDB root mecanism (with sudo, instead of DB password).
- Prompt of default shell user changed for better readability.
Version 1.8, 2017-06-23
- Size of RAM partitions tweaked, as partial workaround for issue #18.
- Fixed value for
innodb_log_file_size, which was set much too low (issue #19).
Version 1.7, 2017-06-08
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2017-06-21.
- Small documentation improvement.
Version 1.6.5, 2017-04-29
- Updated to Moodle 3.3+.
- New database user
moodlebox for Moodle and phpMyAdmin database access.
- Cleanup enhanced at end of build.
- Documentation updated.
- Release notes have now their own file.
- Some documentation improvements.
Version 1.6.4, 2017-04-11
Version 1.6.3, 2017-03-25
- Permissions changes to fix issue #16.
- Cosmetic fix in incron command.
Version 1.6.2, 2017-03-10
- Updated to Moodle 3.2.2.
- Description on front page now uses localisation.
- Better memory usage.
- InnoDB parameters tweaks for small performance improvements.
Version 1.6.1, 2017-03-04
- Uses now MariaDB 10.1.21.
- Better cleanup, for a smaller disk image.
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2017-03-02.
Version 1.6, 2017-02-27
- MariaDB default character encoding and collation updated (see issue MDL-48228).
Version 1.5.1, 2017-02-11
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2017-02-16.
- Uses now PHP7, for a 30% performance improvement :-).
Version 1.5, 2017-01-31
- Prevent side effects after renaming the default user (symbolic link added).
- Updated package installation ordering.
Version 1.4.1, 2017-01-11
- APCu cache module for PHP installed.
Version 1.4, 2016-12-21
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2017-01-11.
- Updated to Moodle 3.1.4.
Version 1.3.6, 2016-12-07
- Added automatic filesystem resizing at first boot.
Version 1.3.5, 2016-12-01
- Maximum script execution time increased.
- Other minor fixes.
Version 1.3.4, 2016-11-04
- Based on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2016-11-25.
- Update of documentation.
Version 1.3.3, 2016-10-27
- Download Moodle with a shallow git clone, reducing dramatically the image size.
- Minor cleanup enhancements.
- Based now on Raspbian Jessie Lite version of 2016-09-23.
Version 1.3.2, 2016-09-18
Version 1.3.1, 2016-09-10
Version 1.3, 2016-08-21
- Fix to Wi-Fi configuration, enabling channel 12 and 13 if needed.
- Wi-Fi access point channel changed.
- Minor fixes to potential installation hiccups.
- Local DNS provided, enabling every device (with or without zeroconf) to access the MoodleBox via the FQDN
Version 1.2.1, 2016-08-20
- Moodle URL changed from
moodlebox.home; the old URL redirects to the new one.
Version 1.2, 2016-08-11
Version 1.1.1, 2016-08-09
- Changed database from MySQL to MariaDB, version 10.0.26.
Version 1.1, 2016-08-06
- Documentation updated.
- Scripts to build the MoodleBox enhanced and updated.
Version 1.0, 2016-07-11
- Added advertising of mDNS services (Avahi service file created).
- First publication of scripts to build the MoodleBox.
Version 1.0b (beta), 2016-06-26
Version 1.0a2 (alpha), 2016-06-19
- Updated to Moodle 3.1.1.
- Updated to version 1.0 of the MoodleBox plugin for Moodle. This version adds a time setting feature for the MoodleBox.
Version 1.0a1 (alpha), 2016-06-16
- Reorganisation of the project.
- Updated to version 1.0a2 of the MoodleBox plugin for Moodle.
Version 0.4 (pre-release), 2016-06-04
Version 0.3 (pre-release), 2016-05-29
- Installation of a preliminary version (1.0a1) of the MoodleBox plugin for Moodle. This plugin helps the administrator of the MoodleBox to monitor some hardware settings and allows restart and shutdown of the MoodleBox via GUI.
Version 0.2 (pre-release), 2016-05-19
- Updated to Moodle 3.1.
- Default account for SSH is now moodlebox (instead of pi). Password is unchanged: Moodlebox4$.
Version 0.1 (pre-release), 2016-04-13 (first version)
- When a USB key is inserted in the MoodleBox, all the files on it are available for the admins and teachers of the Moodle server, via a File system repository.
- Option to upload files on the MoodleBox via SFTP (username: moodlebox, password: Moodlebox4$); these files are available for the admins and teachers of the Moodle server, via a File system repository.
- The MoodleBox can be reached via SSH, username: pi, password: Moodlebox4$.
- The MoodleBox acts as a Wi-Fi access point. SSID: MoodleBox; password: moodlebox.;
- Moodle 3.0 installed on PHP 5.6.24, nginx 1.6.2 and MySQL 5.5.50 is accessible using the URL http://moodlebox.local/; standard configuration of Moodle with no customisation. An admin account for the Moodle, username: admin, password: Moodlebox4$.
- The maximal size of uploaded files in Moodle is set to 50Mb.
- The Moodle cron is launched every 3 minutes.
- Internet access: when the MoodleBox is connected via ethernet to a network connected to Internet, the MoodleBox acts as a router (IP forwarding) and the Wi-Fi clients have access to Internet.
- PhpMyAdmin is installed with an admin account; username: root, password: Moodlebox4$.
- RAM disk for
- No mail server, since the MoodleBox intended use is outside of any connection.
- Built on Raspbian Jessie Lite.