A country’s identification system is the backbone for effective delivery of public and private services. Governments are exploring the development of multipurpose foundational ID systems, in which individuals receive a unique identifier from the government that they can use for identity assertion and verification. The foundational ID can then be used to access a wide variety of government and private services.
The Modular Open Source Identity Platform (MOSIP) helps Governments and other user organizations implement a digital, foundational identity system in a cost effective way. Nations can use MOSIP freely to build their own identity systems. Being modular in its architecture, MOSIP provides flexibility to countries in how they implement and configure their systems, and helps avoid vendor lock-in.
MOSIP provides the following basic features -
- acquire an individual's identity data
- process the identity data to establish uniqueness
- generate a Unique Identity Number (UIN)
- authenticate an individual's identity where required to provide access to services such as healthcare, education, social security etc.
The key objectives of the platform are to -
- provide the basic framework to create a fully functional identity system
- provide the flexibility for a country to choose the features from the basic framework according to their requirements
- maintain the privacy, security and confidentiality of an individual's data
- provide a scalable and accessible solution to cater to a wide range of population (a few thousands to tens of millions)
MOSIP Platform Documentation
The Platform Documentation has everything that you need in terms of requirements, architecture, functional view and APIs. The document can be accessed here.
We encourage you to first get an view of MOSIP's principles and architectural goals.
The logical architecture covers the key design aspects.
The technology stack lists some of the key technologies used in MOSIP.
MOSIP Developer Documentation
Contains guidelines, and instructions for the developer community. The document can be accessed here.
MOSIP Tester Documentation
Contains useful information for the tester community. The document can be accessed here
Contributing to documentation