ConfQL Schema Stitching Demo
GraphQL schema stitching is an excellent way to enhance APIs with a wealth of extra data. The concept is simple and the execution is straight forward. The idea is simply to access two or more APIs in one.
We will combine 4 services: Yelp Google Darksky GraphCMS
The execution involves four steps.
- Introspect the remote APIs. Finding out what schema structure you have to work with.
- Handle type name collisions.
- Associate which fields get added to which types.
- Resolve the data.
It's not always a good idea to stitch your schemas together. Here are some reasons why you might not want to stitch.
- The endpoints are not versioned or reliable and might change on you without proper notice.
- One endpoint for all your data also means one endpoint to take down the project.
- Difference in TTL for your data.
Stitch Some of the Things!
Withe the gotchas in mind, stitching is a great way to combine multiple data sets into a single distributable, explorable and maintainable API. Particularly in API design for MVP projects or one off sites, it's a great way to get the developers up and running, fast.
|Geocode API||You need to build your own Geocode API. You can run this repo locally, or host it with Zeit Now.|
|Content API||Feel free to use the one we have provided! No limits!|
|Yelp API||Register for a yelp authentication key and add it to a .env file.
- Install dependencies with
- Run the server with