Some good software for those concerned about their OPSEC. Geared towards journalists, but good for everyone!
Something you'd like to see added? Want to start a discussion? You can send us patches, pull requests, or open up an issue right here.
Threats emerge, bugs are discovered, everywhere, and all the time. We now include a document, ThreatReporting.md, to address issues as we find out about them. We encourage you to add to this, too, and help research better ways of aggregating and displaying this information.
A Note of Caution (theory)
None of these tools are magic. None of these tools, in and of themselves, will make you safer. "Safer" is not a thing you can download; "safer" is a set of standards you hold yourself to, and every time you learn something new, your standards are set higher. In our talk (7/20/14) we hoped to impart this message to you. If you're just coming to this repo via twitter or word-of-mouth (good for you! ~waves hello~) please take the time to read some of the links/literature we've posted in this REAMDE first, especially those by the researchers at the Tow Center, Internews, CPJ, and Tactical Tech. You will not regret it.
@thegrugq rightfully points this out here
A Note of Caution (praxis)
Our aim is to inform you and to give you a chance to explore your options. We chose to present these options as a repository, intentionally, rather than a typical link dump or .zip full of warez. By choosing to interact with any of these tools at this level, you are entering into the living, breathing processes of development. You're not a user-- you're a contributor.
- Barton Gellman, The Washington Post, @bartongellman
- Harlo Holmes, NYTimes + Guardian Project, @harlo
- Aurelia Moser, Ushahidi + Internews-KE, @auremoser
Other links that can't be submoduled
General Journo Resources
- Source Guide to Opsec: Part
- Source Guide to OpSec: Part 2
- Security Showcase by Github
- SaferJourno Toolkit | Internews
- CPJ: Journalist Security Guide | Committee to Protect Journalists
- Tow Center: Digital Security and Source Protection for Journalists
- HackBack Guide to Whistleblower Protection
- Impunity Index | Committee to Protect Journalists
- Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists | UN
- Frontline Defenders Digital Security
- Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber Dissidents | Reporters Without Borders
- HPN OpSec in Violent Environments | Humanitarian Practice Network
- DFAK | Digital First Aid Kit
- Hacks/Hackers Crypto Guide
- Protektor Services Manual
- GSMA Mobile and Privacy Design Guidelines
- Beautiful Rising Security Training
- Bruce Schneier Security Advice and News