Gmail-SSB is a site-specific browser for Gmail that's optimized for Google's fancy-schmancy voice/video calls. There are better Gmail SSBs out there, such as Mailplane. Or you could roll your own using Fluid.app. Unfortunately, neither of those quite fit my needs:
- Mailplane has a ton of features, but none of which I need. I'm already super-productive using Gmail's native shortcut keys.
- Fluid is also great at what it does. Sadly, closing the Fluid window releases the WebView, which kills any voice/video conversations you have open.
Gmail-SSB addresses these issues so I can work safely in Safari without fear of accidentally closing my Gmail tab during a call.
- Dedicated app just for Gmail. Non-Gmail links automatically open in your real web browser.
- Open/close/hide/minimize the app without disconnecting your voice/video calls.
- Incoming calls will ring in the background even if the window is closed.
- Growl notifications for incoming voice/video calls. (Also bounces the dock.)
- Dock badge shows unread email count.
- Sparkle updates
You can download the latest version here.
Code is hosted at GitHub: http://github.com/tylerhall/Gmail-SSB. Updates will be automatically pushed out in-app via Sparkle. Or you can always download the latest code and build it yourself.
The MIT License
Copyright (c) 2010 Tyler Hall
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.