Technical Learnings from Dropping Out: 15 mins of Tech Tools!
author: Andrew (firstname.lastname@example.org) date: October 8, 2015
- Robotics Team
- High Skills Major in Manufacturing
- Machine Shop and Chrysler
- worked at 2 startups (petroleum and mechanical)
- Reservoir Engineering at Suncor
- Manufacturing Engineering at Facebook
- Various Manufacturing Consulting
After 2B I "dropped-out" to do a startup called PetroPredict
Initially: Use machine learning to identify leaks in oil wells under the ground.
Pivoted: Use data analytics for risk modeling of pipelines (on the surface).
Some technical learnings:
- read (and eventually understand) research papers
- AI, machine learning, data science and probablistic robotics
- leading software development for production level system
- running servers and deploying solutions
- leading teams to GTD
Actually: The Journey
- deployed solution to a multi-billion dollar energy company
- won couple of awards
- won couple of hackathons
- won research award for artificial intelligence for AI in oil and gas
- published in self driving vehicles
10 minutes of tech tools!
This presentation is about tools!
- Operating systems
- Software tools
- Project tools
- Academic tools
- Hardware stuff
- since forever
- lots of CAD software
- totally was afraid of command line
- "affair" at Facebook
- learnt the power of unix and commandline
- learn about
- actually built servers
- currently use mint
- love using terminal
- run servers
Becoming a wizard
- Vim (or another text editor)
- zsh (instead of bash)
- git (or other version control)
Check out my dotfiles
Servers and VM:
- latex Quick demo!
- arduino tutorials / Exploring Arduino //Jeremy Blum
- github.com // social code + a lot more!
- hackster.io // github for hardware
- upverter.com // github + google express for EE
- Instructables //Tutorials
- Sparkfun //Good tutorials!
- Adafruit //More good tutorials!
- Grabcad // CAD models
- Thingiverse // 3d printing fun
- McMaster-Carr // mech hardware + models