Mike's Rails Template
This is just a Rails Template to facilitate the quick set-up of my Rails applications. The main features are:
- Sets up the compass-html5-boilerplate gem by Peter Gumeson (sporkd). This provides:
- Adds a simple 12-column grid framework from http://www.1kbgrid.com/ (converted to sass).
- Adds a basic stylesheet with header, nav bar, body, and footer, and styles for flash messages and buttons.
- Adds a partial to render form error messages.
- Removes everything to do with Prototype, since the Boilerplate is based on JQuery.
- Removes unneeded files like the default Rails index.html and image.
- Adds a Gemfile with commonly needed gems, and some some optional gems available to un-comment when needed.
- Creates a custom RVM gemset for the application, and installs all Gems via bundler.
- Uses RSpec and factory_girl instead of test-unit.
- Implements automatic log rotation for server logs, based on log size.
- Adds a config/app_config.yml file and corresponding initializer, to facilitate app-specific config settings.
- Disables timestamped_migrations to make the filenames more usable in TextMate.
- Sets up a Git repository complete with gitignore list, and commits the entire project.
- Adds a demos controller and several demo pages to help get started.
Get a copy of the template:
git clone git://github.com/greendog99/greendog-rails-template.git /tmp/greendog-rails-template
Create a new Rails application as normal, specifying the path to the template script with the -m flag:
rails new appname -m /tmp/greendog-rails-template/template.rb
Start the rails server with
rails s and browse
This section will explain how to use each of the features.
- Add capistrano deploy.rb file.
- Optionally (based on user interrogation) set up features like devise, paperclip, etc.
- http://rdoc.info/github/wycats/thor/master/Thor/Actions - Actions used in app template generators (e.g. InjectIntoFile)
Thanks to others whose work has steered me in the right direction: