Download compiled version: https://github.com/kalleboo/PingMenu/raw/master/PingMenu.app.zip (Not codesigned, so right-click-open on the unzipped app)
Adds a status menu to the OS X menu bar showing the current ping time to google.com
Why did you make this
Was sitting on a train tethering, the connection was going in and out, I wanted to see at a glance the status of the connection. I now use this whenever I’m on a flaky connection.
What does it do
It sends a ping to google.com every 5 seconds:
- If the ping failed, changes the menu text color to red
- If the ping is taking more than 100ms longer than the last one, menu text color turns yellow
- When the ping succeeds, change menu color to black and show the ping time.
Also shows some stats if you select the menu.
What does it not do, but I plan to add at some point (especially if you bug me about it)
- Configurable domain or IP instead of just hammering poor google
- Maybe attempt DNS lookups to test the DNS server (been having issues with DNS recently)