This is the bsd-games package for Linux, containing classic text mode
games from UNIX folklore.
wump, developed in 1973,
spirhunt in this version), and
adventure from 1977,
are the oldest.
- C11 compiler: gcc 4.6 or clang 3.2
- ncurses: https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/
- wordlist: for hangman. Usually already in /usr/share/dict.
./configure --prefix=/usr && make install
Unlike earlier bsd-games versions, this one does not install anything sgid. Scorefiles in /var/lib/bsdgames are owned and writable by the users group. For security, each game validates scores when loading. Saved game files are also validated and will not cause a crash.
This package contains the following games:
- adventure: the original adventure by Crowther and Woods
- atc: air traffic control simulator
- battlestar: a tropical adventure
- caesar: performs rotated-alphabet cryptography (like rot13)
- cribbage: cribbage card game
- dab: dots and boxes
- drop4: tetromino packing game
- gofish: go fish card game
- gomoku: connect-5 version of tic-tac-toe
- hangman: guess the word before it is too late
- klondike: curses-based solitaire
- robots: avoid the evil robots
- sail: sail your ship into battle
- snake: grab the cash, avoid the snake, and exit
- spirhunt: hunt space pirates
- worm: eat the numbers without running into anything
- wump: hunt the wumpus
Many programs that were in the original 2.17 distribution were removed to focus on providing playable games, rather than a rusty junk pile. boggle, mille, and monop were infringing on Hasbro copyrights. hunt, dm, and phantasia were unplayable on single-user systems. arithmetic, quiz, wtf, rain, worms, bcd, ppt, morse, number, pig, pom, random, and wargames, were just plain junk and would likely be missed by no one. The following programs were removed because they are already maintained elsewhere as seprate projects.
- backgammon: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnubg/
- banner: https://packages.debian.org/stable/bsdmainutils
- factor: http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/coreutils.html
- fortune: https://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/games/amusements/fortune/
- primes: http://primesieve.org/
- rogue: http://coredumpcentral.org/
- hack: https://www.nethack.org, https://github.com/msharov/hack