WordPress Domain Changer
A self-contained script/tool developed to help ease migration of WordPress sites from one domain to another.
Please Visit This Page for a complete overview.
- Backup your WordPress database.
- Seriously, Back Up Your Database!
- Situation One: You have a new server where you intend to upload your existing WordPress site files.
- Export the current WordPress database data into a sql dump file.
- Create a MySQL database on the new server.
- Import the WordPress database dump file into the newly created database.
- Open up the wp-config.php file and set DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD, and DB_NAME to the correct values for the new server.
- Upload the WordPress directory contents to the domain directory on the new server.
- Situation Two: The WordPress files and database locations have not changed — just the domain name.
- Skip to step 5.
- Open up wp-change-domain.php in a text editor and scroll down to the “CONFIG” section.
- Under “Authentication Password” replace the default password with a VERY secure password of your choice.
- Upload wp-change-domain.php to the root directory of the WordPress site.
- the root directory is where the wp-config.php is located.
- In a web browser go to: http://www.yourNewDomain.com/wp-change-domain.php
- Type in your password that you set in step 6 at the authentication prompt.
- You will now be presented with the domain changer form.
- The script will try and auto-detect all of the settings, but it’s up to you to confirm they are all correct.
- Take one last look at the settings to verify that they are correct… then click the “Submit!” button.
- Go to your site’s home page at the new domain — all should be working!
- Once the domain has been changed remove this script from the server!
Wordpress Domain Changer is released under the New BSD license. http://dan.doezema.com/licenses/new-bsd/