Ascii Patrol is an ASCII game project. It was mainly inspired by "Moon Patrol", my favourite arcade game at the times I was a child.
Currently game can be built for
- Windows (VC2010)
- Linux & Cygwin (GCC)
- DOS (Watcom)
- HTML5 browsers (Emscripten)
- Added $ASCII_PATROL_CONFIG_DIR and $ASCII_PATROL_RECORD_DIR environment variables (Linux only)
- Thanks to XM player patch provided by @hexwab music sounds even better
- Mobile browsers can use touch input
More on how to navigate & play using touch input is here:
- It is possible to install game as PWA from:
- You may also notice some vibrations bzzzz....
To use / modify / add graphics asserts located in 'asset' directory you need to use REXPaint Copy 'assets' directory to REXPaint's 'images' subdirectory. To apply modifications to the game, in next step you should use temp_xp program which converts all .xp files located in some directory to assets.cpp and assets.h files being compiled with game.
Accordingly to raspberrypi.org AP can be easily built and runs great on Raspberry PI!
Find me on Twitter: @MrGumix
Give it a try on any HTML5 browser
Quick install on Linux with snap
sudo snap install ascii-patrol
Need a package? Try these:
- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ascii-patrol-git/ by @SlavMetal
- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ascii-patrol/ by Towtow10 (only x64)
Build instructions on Linux (assuming we have git and g++):
# clone sources repo git clone https://github.com/msokalski/ascii-patrol.git # enter sources directory cd ascii-patrol # enable execution of build.sh and run.sh scripts chmod +x *.sh # install required packages, (no apt-get -> use pacman) sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libpulse-dev # to fix problems with no keyboard input in few gnome terminals we require XI2 sudo apt-get install libxi-dev # invoke compilation ./build.sh
Ascii Patrol uses curl to communicate with hi-score server (ascii-patrol.com)
So optionally let's install it if needed.
sudo apt-get install curl
Finally let's piu-piu !
More on asciipat arguments can be found here: http://ascii-patrol.com/forum/index.php?topic=63
Ascii Patrol creates two files: asciipat.cfg and asciipat.rec.
asciipat.cfg is created when you change your player name, avatar, or key bindings. asciipat.rec is created when you start playing the game, and get a score.
On Linux, by default, the game saves these files in $HOME. If $HOME is not set, then the game saves the files in the current directory.
However, if $ASCII_PATROL_CONFIG_DIR or $ASCII_PATROL_RECORD_DIR are set, then the game will save the files in those directories respectively. The directories should already exist; Ascii Patrol will not create them.
- no sound? -> install / start pulseaudio
- weird colors? -> try another terminal emulator or run from raw console (ctrl-alt-F1 or so)
- poor font look? -> try changing font in your terminal or in case of raw console use setfont
- keyboard doesn't work? -> try another terminal emulator or run from raw console
- no hi-scores table? -> install curl