HTTPS clone URL
Subversion checkout URL
- Diagnosing why Git is so slow
- enforce windows compatible names
- Finding An Open Issue That Suits My Skills
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Git and Proxy Servers
- Git cannot create a file or directory with a long path
- Git for Windows Unicode Support
- Git shows my non ASCII filenames as untracked
- How and when does Git for Windows get released
- How do I add a certificate to the default set of certificates used by msysgit
- How to upgrade Perl
- How To Use Eclipse For Coding MsysGit
- I want to upgrade Subversion. How do I do that
- Language Settings
- Perl is too old
- Relationship to Git for Windows
- Setting up a Git server on Windows using Git for Windows and CopSSH
- Setting up a Git server on Windows using msysGit and CopSSH
- Silent Installation
- Silent or Unattended Installation
- Subversion is too old
- Using git send email
- What is msysGit, what is Git for Windows
- What is this MSys thing in MSysGit
- Why am I getting fatal Invalid symlink .... Function not supported. error when initcloneing
- Why Is libexec so huge?
Clone this wiki locally
msysGit is the development environment to compile Git for Windows. It is complete, in the sense that you just need to install msysGit, and then you can build Git. Without installing any 3rd-party software.
msysGit is not Git for Windows; that is an installer which installs Git -- and only Git.
It is easy to see the difference: the installers for Git have the prefix Git-, the msysGit installers have the prefix msysGit-. Another telltale is that the msysGit installers come in two flavors: fullinstall and netinstall. Further, msysGit does not install to C:\Program Files by default. But msysGit comes with gcc, the GNU C Compiler.
Please see WorkingOnMsysGit.
Note: this is not the preferred way, as it does not set up the repositories for msysGit and git, and does not fetch the histories from repo.or.cz. However, some people cannot freely access the internet, not even with an HTTP proxy. If this applies to you, this is the installer we intended for you. In the olden days of this project, it was the only available package, "msysGit", originally not even an installer, but a 48MB zip file!
- Get msysGit-fullinstall from our obsolete Google Code page.
- Run it, or if you are uncomfortable running executables, get 7-Zip and extract it. (Sidenote: If you are still stuck with WinZip and its nagging screen, why don't you change? 7-Zip can do everything WinZip can, and more, and it is OpenSource, and there is no nagging screen, and it can compress better, and...)
- Extract anywhere you like (although it was only really tested on C:\msysgit\)
- Go into that directory and double click on msys.bat
- It will compile & install git (only in msysGit, no need to fear), then welcomes you with a note that all is ready.
This will initialize a git repository in /.git, and update your complete msysGit to the current version.
So you installed msysGit, but closed the window, and cannot find a way to restart it? No need to fear, just execute "msys.bat" in the directory you installed to.
To make it more convenient, you can install a QuickLaunch shortcut with "/share/msysGit/add-shortcut.tcl".
- Inside MSys, run the script like this: "/share/msysGit-fullinstall/release.sh VERSION"
- The result will be in your home directory.
Please refer to UpdatingMSysGit.