MEI 3.0.0, released on June 15, 2016, contains over two years of updates and changes.
Highlights of this release include:
- association of MEI elements with external code lists, such as Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL);
- expanded metadata capabilities, such as the inclusion of non-MEI metadata formats;
- improved representation of typographic details;
- description of MEI components using Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG); and
- revision of the MEI Guidelines and Data Dictionary (formerly known as the "Tag Library").
To see all of the changes made for this revision, please visit the main Music Encoding Initiative Git repository , the Encoding Tools repository , and the Sample Encodings repository .
The source files, schemata, and guidelines for this release are available from the main Music Encoding Initiative Git repository . Browse-able  and printable  versions of the Guidelines and Data Dictionary are available from the MEI web site, as are plain text versions of the RNG schemata .
The mei21to30 XSLT style sheet, available from the Encoding Tools repository, may be used to convert MEI instances from version 2.1.1 (MEI 2013) to version 3.0.0.
Many thanks to everyone who participated in the revision process. Without a great deal of teamwork, an undertaking of this magnitude would not be possible. Of course, any remaining errors are the sole responsibility of the editors.