- Allows you to create Vaadin UI designs in the structured code way; the idea behind the library is explained in the DSLs: Explained for Vaadin article. The general DSL idea is explained in Kotlin Type-Safe Builders.
- Includes useful components like
- Contains additional useful methods which Vaadin lacks; see karibu-tools
|Vaadin Version||Karibu DSL Version||Min. Java Version||Remarks|
|14-23||1.x||8 for Vaadin 14, 11 for Vaadin 23|
|8||1.0.x||5||Read more below|
Please read the Karibu-DSL Vaadin 14+ tutorial.
The origins of the word Karibu: it's a term for North American subspecies of the reindeer; that connects to Vaadin (which is a Finnish word for a female reindeer). A nice connotation comes from Swahili where Karibu means welcome.
Note: For Groovy Vaadin DSL please see the Vaadin Groovy Builder library.
Vaadin 8 is no longer supported starting from Karibu-DSL 1.1+. If you're still using Vaadin 8, please use Karibu-DSL 1.0.x. Please find the documentation for Karibu-DSL Vaadin 8 in the 1.0.x README.md. Also see Issue #35 for more details.
- The UI structure is immediately visible
- The code is more readable and much shorter and concise
- You can more easily copy parts of the UI and paste it into your project
Supports Vaadin 14+.
- Simple one-page-one-button example app: karibu-helloworld-application
- A simple database-backed one-page task list app: vaadin-kotlin-pwa
- Two-page app demoing grids and database: Beverage Buddy VoK
Back in the days there was a Vaadin 8 project called UITest (or Component Palette) which demoed all Vaadin 8 components along with all of ValoTheme styles. The project is no longer around officially, but there's a karibu-dsl fork of the project. To run it quickly, follow these steps:
git clone https://github.com/mvysny/karibu-dsl cd karibu-dsl git checkout 1.0.x ./gradlew clean build example-v8:appRun
You may need JDK 11 or JDK 8 to run the demo; JDK 17 support is not known.
Licensed under the MIT License.
Copyright (c) 2017-2020 Martin Vysny
All rights reserved.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.