Xappy provides a simple-to-use interface to a search engine (Xapian - http://xapian.org/).
For an introduction to the "xappy" module, read the documentation in "docs/introduction.html". (If you have an SVN checkout, you may need to generate this documentation by running "./build.py")
You can run the testsuite by running "./testsuite/runtests.py".
All changes are logged in the ChangeLog.
- Python. Versions 2.4 to 2.7 should be suitable. Earlier versions may not work correctly, and versions earlier than 2.2 will certainly not work (since they are not supported by Xapian).
- Xapian (core library and python bindings). Currently, no release contains all the features needed for Xappy: you will need a snapshot release of Xapian. Appropriate snapshots are available from the tarballs in the libs/ subdirectory: we do not currently support use of a version of Xapian other than that in those tarballs.
- rst2html and epydoc. These are used to format the documentation - you should be able to use the "xappy" module without them, but it won't be so easy to know _how_ to use it!
- Python docutils. This is needed for generating the documentation - most Python installations will already have docutils included, but you may need to install it specifically in some cases.
- If you want to use the colour similarity code, you will also need:
- The python colormath library. Get this from "easy_install colormath", or download a tarball from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/colormath/
- Scipy version 0.7 or later, for the image facet clustering code.
The xappy module is pure Python, and thus doesn't really need to be built. However, there is a "build.py" script at the top level of the project - this will generate all the documentation.