MyPaint v1.2.0 (2016-01-15)
It's been a long time since the last stable release, but we're happy to announce that MyPaint version 1.2.0 is ready. The official sources can be downloaded below, along with installers for Windows. We've made packages for Ubuntu too, and you can get them from the mypaint-testing PPA. Other Linux and OS X distributions will release binaries through their usual channels in due course.
Changes since the last stable release
- New intuitive Inking tool for smooth strokes.
- New Flood Fill tool.
- Automated backups of your working docs, with recovery on startup.
- Improved symmetry-setting and frame-setting modes.
- New workspace UI: two sidebars, with dockable tabbed panels.
- Smoother scrolling and panning.
- New brush pack.
- New brush and color history panel.
- New layer trimming command in frame options.
- Added layer groups.
- New layer modes: several masking modes added.
- Add display filters: greyscale, simulate dichromacy for trichromats.
- New color wheel options: Red/Yellow/Blue, Red-Green/Blue-Yellow.
- Uses dark theme variant by default.
- Clearer icons, prettier freehand cursors.
- Device prefs allow glitchy devices to be restricted.
- Eraser mode no longer changes the size of the brush.
- New vector layers, editable in an external app (Inkscape recommended).
- New fallback layer types: non-PNG image, data.
- More kinds of images now work as backgrounds.
- Improved Windows support
- Ported to GTK3.
- Accelerator map editor has moved to preferences.
- Many other bugfixes, translations, and code quality improvements.
The official source tarball for this release is
mypaint-1.2.0.tar.xz, and it contains libmypaint. Binaries linked below are built from this source.
Windows binaries can be found below. Thanks @tumagonx!
You'll need to fully uninstall any earlier stable MyPaint releases or beta versions of MyPaint before installing these files.
To install the new version, download the file ending in
-setup.exe below and open it in Windows. It's an Inno Setup installer, which will ask for local admin rights before installing MyPaint.
Some tablet drivers are known to interface better with the
w32 build, and some work better with the
w64 one. You will probably get more reliable pressure support if you ensure that your tablet is plugged in and that you can move the pointer on screen with it before starting MyPaint.
This Windows version is built against GTK (and GDK) 3.14, which is an older version than the one used for the recent betas (which picked up GTK 3.18). This official release may suffer from less drawing lag as a result of using the earlier GTK libraries (issue #390), but it's a hedged bet.
Technical info: this Windows build of MyPaint 1.2.0 is bundled with
libgtk-3-0.dll 3.14.15 and
Linux and Mac binaries
Linux and OS X binaries will be available through the usual repositories for those systems. Expect downstreams to build v1.2.0 packages, and please nag them to do it if one isn't available for your system yet!
Ubuntu testing binaries
These can be obtained through the mypaint-testing PPA.