LimeSDR-USB Acrylic Case
An acrylic enclosure designed to accommodate the Myriad-RF LimeSDR-USB.
A complete kit of parts can be bought from Crowd Supply.
The case design is provided in the following formats:
- Inkscape SVG (source)
The case parts are laser cut from the following types of acrylic sheet:
- Layer 01: 3mm midnight black (frosted opaque)
- Layer 02: 3mm black (opaque)
- Layer 03: 5mm glass look (clear with green hue)
- Layer 04: 5mm black (opaque)
- Layer 05: 3mm glass look (clear with green hue)
Other colours and finishes could be used, and the above were selected for a combination of aesthetic and practical reasons, e.g. frosted finish doesn't pick up finger marks.
Bill of materials
In addition to the acrylic parts the kit contains:
|6||22mm M3 black stainless steel, pozi pan head machine screws|
|6||M3 black stainless steel nuts|
|4||12mm M3 black nylon, pozi pan head machine screws|
|8||M3 black nylon nuts|
|1||10mm piece 3M 4516 black single sided foam tape 6.35mm|
|4||6mm clear self-adhesive rubber bumpers|
Note that the foam tape is usually already applied to Layer 01.
Other hardware required
- 4x panel mount SMA socket to U.FL coaxial cables
Please note that a video assembly guide is also available.
- Lay out all of the parts and ensure you have everything.
- Remove the protective backing from the acrylic parts. Note that this is likely to generate static electricity so do not do this near sensitive electronics. Clean any clouding / marks from the acrylic that may have occured during manufacture.
- Each layer can be identified by small dots etched into the acrylic pieces and these should always face upwards during assembly. The fourth layer is pictured above.
- Place the nylon screws down through the LimeSDR board mounting holes and secure with a nylon nut underneath, which will act as a spacer.
- Secure the board to Layer 1 using the remaing 4x nylon nuts, ensuring that the dot marking the layer is facing upwards when the board is, and the larger gap is at USB socket end. Trim the nylon screws to length with a pair of sharp side cutters.
- Insert the 6 steel screws up through layer 1 (screw heads on the underside) and then add layer 2, ensuring that this does not trap the foam pads on layer 1.
- Connect the U.FL to SMA cables, taking care to ensure that the U.FL connectors are correctly aligned and too much force is not applied. Also take great care when routing the cables to avoid damage to sensitive components.
- Add acrylic parts for layer 3, taking care not to trap cables.
- Add layer 4.
- Add layer 5 and secure with the 6 steel nuts, but only finger tight.
- One at a time, remove the steel screws and reverse these so that they go in from the top side, and gently tighten.
- Add the SMA washers and nuts, and gently tighten. Take care not to apply too much force or the acrylic may crack.
- Add the rubber bumpers to the underside.
LimeSDR-USB Acrylic Case copyright 2017 AB Open Ltd.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.