We use a combination of Jekyll and Github Pages to run the site.
If you want to write a post, here's how:
- Fork this project to yourself (upper right corner)
- You need a Github account to do this
- Clone your own fork to your computer (git clone)
- Add your author info to
- Write a new post under the
_postsfolder using Markdown, look at other posts for example of what to write there
- If you have Ruby and Jekyll, preview your post locally (instructions below)
- Create a pull request at https://github.com/solita/solita.github.com/pull/new/master
- Choose your fork on the right
- Write some info about the post
- Wait for comments and publish!
You need Ruby and Jekyll if you want to preview your posts locally on the blog. If you're fine with just previewing the Markdown, you can use a Markdown preview script, like this one for Sublime Text.
For Windows, download & install the latest Ruby 1.9.x and Development Kit from http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/.
Note: Make sure to tick the checkbox "Add Ruby to PATH" (or something). You can also try: https://github.com/vertiginous/pik/
For OSX(/Linux), use the instructions below. If you have installed Xcode, you might have ruby (1.9.2 or something like that) already. No guarantinees about this working with that so use RVM
- \curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --ruby=1.9.3
- fork this repo
- go to your working copy of solita.github.com
- rvm use 1.9.3
- verify that 1.9.3 used by ruby -v (On linux you might need to fix gnome-termina: http://rvm.io/integration/gnome-terminal)
- gem install bundler
- Run bundle install for depencies
- Make sure the installation succeeds
- Type in:
jekyll serve --watch
- Open browser to: http://localhost:4000/
Also seems to be working with Ruby 2.0.0p0/247
For development, you need Ruby and Jekyll. If you want to tweak the CSS, you need Compass. Also, if you want to make stuff easier, install foreman.
- Install Ruby (above)
- To install Jekyll, Compass and foreman, type into a command prompt or terminal:
gem install jekyll compass foreman rdiscount
- Make sure the install succeeds
- Go to your cloned copy of solita.github.com
- Type in:
- Jekyll and Compass should start!
/dev/solita is built using all the hippiest hip technologies available:
git, Github Pages, Ruby, Jekyll, Markdown, Sass, Compass, foreman, jQuery, Gravatar, disqus, Google Analytics, AddThis