gEdit Autocomplete suggests word completions based on the text in the active document. It first attempts to suggest compound words for a given word start, and only if such words do not exist it resorts to suggesting simple words.
Compond words consist of simple words joined via concatenators. The inbuild concatenators are targeting c-family, pascal-family, urls and emails:
This version uses
Return instead of
Tab, so it plays nice with the snippets
- Run the
- Open gedit and click
Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins
- Check the
- That's it! Now you can start coding and watch the popup working. Hit
Returnto accept the completion.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
There are a lot of completions plugins in the Gnome gEdit Plugins page, and I don't know what one was the first but this one is a product by:
- Initial version: Osmo Salomaa http://users.tkk.fi/~otsaloma/gedit/
- 0.9.6: Alin Avasilcutei http://gedit-autocomp.sourceforge.net/
- 0.9.x, 0.10.x: Fabio Nagao http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/ and Vincent Petithory http://blog.lunar-dev.net/
Plugin completely rewritten. Renamed the version to 0.10.0. Notable features:
- Accepts a global list of static words available for all kind of documents
- Accepts a list of static words for each language -- useful for constants, static methods etc
- Accepts a library to handle dynamic instances -- intellisense like
- Tips are now sorted
- Configurations based on json.
- Removed all install and non-standard icons things. Installation is easy as copy and paste inside
Merged the configurable branch. Renamed the version to 0.9.8
- The completion behavior can be one of the following :
- global : each window shares their words, so any word in any window is eligible for completion anywhere
- local : each window only knows its own words, so only those are eligible for completion in the window.
- A global list of predefined words is available in any window.
- A configuration dialog is available to tweak the above settings.
Added an plugin icon.Renamed the version to 0.9.7
bugfix: Completion was active only on the last opened window. Previous opened windows lost the completion feature.
I did a brief read in the plugin, changed tabs into four spaces, fixed some typos and made the required changes to make Return run as the trigger instead of Tab.