gEdit Autocomplete suggests word completions based on the text in the active document and in an additional language library file.
A demo of this plugin working - with snippets and classbrowser, of course - is available at YouTube! You can check it working before downloading.
- Copy both
- Open gedit and click
Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins
- Check the
Autocomplete (gedit-json-completion)and hit
- Check the
Word Completionand hit
- That's it! Now you can start coding and watch the popup working. Hit
Tabto accept the completion.
NOTE: Windows users should follow the instructions of http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/entries/setting-autocomplete-to-work-in-windows-gedit/
Copyright (C) 2011 Fabio Zendhi Nagao
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
There are a lot of completions plugins in the Gnome gEdit Plugins page, and I don't know what one was the first but this one is a product by:
- Initial version: Osmo Salomaa http://users.tkk.fi/~otsaloma/gedit/
- 0.9.6: Alin Avasilcutei http://gedit-autocomp.sourceforge.net/
- 0.9.x, 0.10.x: Fabio Nagao http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/ and Vincent Petithory http://blog.lunar-dev.net/
- 0.11.0: Fabio Nagao http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/
Adding 0.10.0 tag
Updated some lines in settings.py to make it compatible with the windows version.
Plugin completely rewritten. Renamed the version to 0.10.0. Notable features:
- Accepts a global list of static words available for all kind of documents
- Accepts a list of static words for each language -- useful for constants, static methods etc
- Accepts a library to handle dynamic instances -- intellisense like
- Tips are now sorted
- Configurations based on json.
- Removed all install and non-standard icons things. Installation is easy as copy and paste inside
Merged the configurable branch. Renamed the version to 0.9.8
- The completion behavior can be one of the following :
- global : each window shares their words, so any word in any window is eligible for completion anywhere
- local : each window only knows its own words, so only those are eligible for completion in the window.
- A global list of predefined words is available in any window.
- A configuration dialog is available to tweak the above settings.
Added an plugin icon.Renamed the version to 0.9.7
bugfix: Completion was active only on the last opened window. Previous opened windows lost the completion feature.
I did a brief read in the plugin, changed tabs into four spaces, fixed some typos and made the required changes to make Return run as the trigger instead of Tab.