ndnSIM 2.0 is a new release of NS-3 based Named Data Networking (NDN)
simulator that went through extensive refactoring and rewriting. The key
new features of the new version:
- ndnSIM no longer re-implements basic NDN primitives and directly
uses implementation from ndn-cxx library (NDN C++ library with
- All NDN forwarding and management is implemented directly using
source code of Named Data Networking Forwarding Daemon (NFD). The
current code is based on a22a2172611b1cb93b2e2f53d9d5da122b384f3e
commit of NFD repository.
Note RIB Manager is not yet available in ndnSIM.
- Packet format changed to the NDN packet format.
- Code style changes to conform to ndn-cxx Code Style and Coding
Guidelines This change also includes renaming of the header and
source files: *.h -> *.hpp, *.cc -> *.cpp
- ndnSIM now uses C++11.
- Integration with NFD codebase:
- A realistic behavior is added to the simulations.
- Forwarding plane extensions can be used in both ndnSIM simulations
and real NFD deployment.
- Per namespace forwarding strategies for different namespaces (one
strategy per namespace).
- New examples:
- Basic examples using python bindings: ndn-simple.py and ndn-grid.py
- Use of the the full-featured NDN packet format.
- Full-featured support for Interest selectors.
- Full-featured crypto operations can be simulated (disabled by
- FibHelper to manage FIB entries.
- StrategyChoiceHelper to manage per-namespace forwarding strategy
- HopCount tracing now includes only one way network-level hop count
(e.g., the number of physical links traversed by a packet).
Previously, this tracing was round-trip and included applications
- Python bindings have changed and, due to limitations of pybindgen,
currently cover a smaller subset of C++ code (Task #2341).
- LinkControlHelper now uses ErrorRate to simulate link
failure/recovery. Previously it was relying on Up/Down flag on NDN
- The Face abstraction of NFD is now used.
- Fix processing files with customized LossRate or Queue model in
AnnotatedTopologyReader Bug #2354.
- PyNDN emulation
- (temporarily) ApiFace. Will be replaced with emulation of ndn-cxx
ndn::Face in future releases (Issue #2370).
- (temporarily) UdpFace, TcpFace (Issue #2371).
- Limits, LimitsWindow, LimitsRate.
- PIT, FIB with "replacement" policies.
- Old deprecated packet formats.