Vue (pronounced /vjuː/, like view) is a progressive framework for building user interfaces. The core library is focused on the view layer only, and is very easy to pick up and integrate with other libraries or existing projects.
What is NativeScript-Vue?
NativeScript-Vue is a NativeScript plugin which allows you to use Vue.js to craft your mobile application.
If you have used Vue.js before you will feel right at home with NativeScript-Vue.
Why would you use this?
There are many options to build mobile apps. Here are some situations where we think NativeScript-Vue is a great fit.
- You need a truly native iOS and Android app: NativeScript builds your apps using native user interface components on iOS and Android. The apps you build are not web-based, and therefore are not subject to the limitations inherent in WebView-based application frameworks. NativeScript also provides an extensive collection of plugins to tie into native device features. So if you need to tie into an iOS or Android API or feature as part of your app, you can do that with NativeScript.
- You like Vue: Vue is known for its simple approach to the view layer. If you like building web apps with Vue, you’ll be right at home with NativeScript-Vue, as you’ll be using the same syntax for handling common tasks like data binding and event handling.
What’s the catch?
If you have existing Vue experience, there are two big things you’ll need to learn to be successful with NativeScript-Vue.
- Working with the NativeScript CLI: NativeScript is a framework for building iOS and Android apps, not web apps. You’ll need to learn how a few commands in the NativeScript CLI, and some basics of how iOS simulators and Android Virtual Devices work.
- Learning the NativeScript UI components: Because NativeScript uses native user interface components, HTML controls like
<span>don’t exist in NativeScript. Instead you’ll need to learn a new set of components you can use to render your interfaces.
Want to get involved?
How stable is this project?
NativeScript-Vue is relatively feature-complete. At this time we’re focusing on two things:
- Documentation: Not everything you can do in NativeScript-Vue is documented on this site. We’re actively adding samples and use cases to this site, and contributions are welcome.
- Sample apps: We’re looking for people to put this plugin through its paces and send feedback our way. If you’re interested, join the NativeScript Community Slack and let us know in the #vue channel.