LinuxFest Northwest 2018
- 2018-04-29 09:30-10:15 PST
- Bellingham Technical College CC-115
- Oh no, I displayed the wrong Twitter handle during the talk.
- Stop saying "um".
- Slides, for the video watchers
- Repeat audience questions, for the video watchers
- Leave more for Q&A (33%?)
- Sam Harris Lying ISBN-10: 1940051002 -- Harris claims that being honest all of the time is a practical and wise policy. Please note that Harris' thesis here does not depend on any of his other unpopular opinions.
- Robert "Uncle Bob" Martin Expecting Professionalism https://youtu.be/BSaAMQVq01E?t=1h11m30s -- Martin makes his arguments about the growth of the number of developers.
- Stack Overflow Developer Survey https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018#experience -- You can go back a few years. These numbers are consistent with Martin's, but do not prove them: it is a self-selected population.
- McHugh, Lake Understanding Clinical Expertise: Nurse Education, Experience, and the Hospital Context https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2998339/ -- Nurses' mean years of experience. + MSN: 18.9 + Diploma nurses: 17.7 + BSN: 10.9 + ADN-prepared: 9.5
- Atul Gawande The Checklist Manifesto ISBN-10: 0312430000 -- Gawande, a surgeon, argues that even the most skilled professionals can make good use of checklists.