Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
#Intro Q: What is NB ?
A: NB is an in-place forum web application: It lets you have discussions on top of documents.
Q: I've never used NB before. How do I create a new class ?
A: It's very simple: Just fill in this form.
For more detail on creating a class page, please watch the following: https://vimeo.com/56370919
For a more complete tutorial, please watch the following video: https://vimeo.com/56377238.
Q: I've used NB in the past. How do I create a new class ?
A: Once you're logged in, click on you name on the top-right of the screen, and select the menu "Create a new class".
For more detail, please watch the following: https://vimeo.com/56370933
Q: Is NB free to use on http://nb.mit.edu for educational purposes ? Are there some terms of service ?
A: Absolutely: you are welcome to use our server at http://nb.mit.edu to create an account for your class, upload PDFs, and invite students and colleagues. However, please be aware that NB is a research project, so it's offered "AS-IS": We do not provide any guarantee about the NB service. This includes but is not limited to:
- the availability of the service
- confidentiality of the information you've entered on NB
- any data loss or alteration
- any consequence due to a misuse of the service by malicious users. We may also contact you or you user to ask them to occasionally participate in a research questionnaire.
Managing Classes and Files.
Q: How do I delete a file from the class list?
A: Once you're logged in, right-click on that file's name and select "Delete".
Q Can I remove comments from a file if they're not mine
A: Not currently: see https://github.com/nbproject/nbproject/issues/8
For all users
##Login Q: How do I change my password ?
A: Once you're logged in, click on you name on the top-right of the screen, and select the menu "Settings".
For more detail, please watch the following: https://vimeo.com/56057334
Q: I'm logged as 'Sandbox User' ? Is that normal ?
A: 'Sandbox User' is a special user used to let people get a quick look at what an annotated PDF looks like in NB. Bu tin order to really use NB, you need to be logged in as yourself. So logout by chooing "Log out" from the top right menu, or visiting the /logout URL (e.g. http://nb.mit.edu/logout if you're using the nb.mit.edu server for instance), and re-login as yourself.
Q: If there is a way to recover my password if I forgot it ?
A: You can ask for a password reminder near the login box.
##Memberships Q: How do I get access to contents from a class on NB ?
A: It depends on that class settings:
- If the class is "by invitation only", you need to contact to the class administrator (i.e. the instructor or the TA in most cases) and ask them for an invitation.
- If the class provides a "subscribe link", you just need to enter that "subscribe link" on your browser and confirm that you want to be part of that class on NB.
- If the class material is viewable by the whole world you don't even need an account on NB: You just need to visit the URL of any of that class (it looks like http://[SERVER_NAME]/f/[SOME_NUMBER], for example http://ocw.csail.mit.edu/f/1)
For more detail, please watch the following: https://vimeo.com/56370907
Q: Can I remove myself from a class ?
A: Not currently: see https://github.com/nbproject/nbproject/issues/13 If you need to be removed from a class in the meantime, please contact us directly using the email that's registered in NB and telling is the class you need to be removed from.
##Troubleshooting Q: How can I get help with a NB-related question ?
- First check if your question is on this FAQ.
- Not there ? Visit our forum
- As a last resort, you can contact us by [filling this form] (https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGJTeEMxdi1oMkpTVENQakNfOGIzSUE6MA). We don't have the infrastructure to have a support team, so please be patient.
Q: Nothing shows up on the main screen and none of the links work
A: Are you a compatible browser ? Currently NB works with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 9 or more recent. If you're using on of these browser and that NB doesn't work, please visit our forum
##Miscellaneous Q: Is a tutorial available?
A: Yes, please watch the following video: https://vimeo.com/56376563.
Q: Is there any way to merge accounts in NB?
A: There’s currently no way to merge accounts, but a request has been added to our github site https://github.com/nbproject/nbproject/issues/62 so that this feature can be added in the future. In the meantime, select the account you would like to use to host or access all your NB sites. Send this account an invitation (or ask the instructor to do so) for all classes it does not currently have access to.
Q: Is there any way to delete an NB account?
A: A request for this feature has been added to our github: https://github.com/nbproject/nbproject/issues/12 and will hopefully be available soon.
Q: Can I use NB to for my research in online education tools ?
A: Of course ! NB was initially developed for research purposes, and was made open-source under a MIT licence so that it can be used and modified in order not to have to reinvent the wheel if you need to deploy an annotation tool. A paper about how students and faculty used NB has been published to CHI 2012: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2207676.2208326 Authors' copy is available at http://groups.csail.mit.edu/haystack/documents/papers/2012/nb_chi2012.pdf
Q: Is it possible to download the annotated PDFs?
A: It's possible to download the annotated PDF if you have admin rights to the NB class that contains that PDF.