ssh-auditor will automatically:
- Re-check all known hosts as new credentials are added. It will only check the new credentials.
- Queue a full credential scan on any new host discovered.
- Queue a full credential scan on any known host whose ssh version or key fingerprint changes.
- Attempt command execution as well as attempt to tunnel a TCP connection.
- Re-check each credential using a per credential
scan_interval- default 14 days.
It's designed so that you can run
ssh-auditor discover +
from cron every hour to to perform a constant audit.
Earlier demo showing all of the features
Demo showing improved log output
$ brew install go # or however you want to install the go compiler $ go get github.com/ncsa/ssh-auditor
or Build from a git clone
$ go build
Build a static binary including sqlite
$ make static
Ensure you can use enough file descriptors
$ ulimit -n 4096
Create initial database and discover ssh servers
$ ./ssh-auditor discover -p 22 -p 2222 192.168.1.0/24 10.0.0.1/24
Add credential pairs to check
$ ./ssh-auditor addcredential root root $ ./ssh-auditor addcredential admin admin $ ./ssh-auditor addcredential guest guest --scan-interval 1 #check this once per day
Try credentials against discovered hosts
$ ./ssh-auditor scan
Output a report on what credentials worked
$ ./ssh-auditor vuln
RE-Check credentials that worked
$ ./ssh-auditor rescan
Output a report on duplicate key usage
$ ./ssh-auditor dupes
- update the 'host changes' table
- handle false positives from devices that don't use ssh password authentication but instead use the shell to do it.
- variable re-check times - each credential has a scan_interval in days
- better support non-standard ports - discover is the only thing that needs to be updated, the rest doesn't care.
- possibly daemonize and add an api that bro could hook into to kick off a discover as soon as a new SSH server is detected.
- make the store pluggable (mysql, postgresql).
- differentiate between a failed password attempt and a failed connection or timeout. Mostly done. Things like fail2ban complicate this.
- add go implementations for the report sqlite3 command.
This query that
ssh-auditor vuln runs is
select hc.hostport, hc.user, hc.password, hc.result, hc.last_tested, h.version from host_creds hc, hosts h where h.hostport = hc.hostport and result!='' order by last_tested asc