Pony Forum on dotCloud
Pony Forum is a forum (also known as a bulletin board) written in Python for the Django framework. It is intended as a replacement of the decade-old forums like vBulletin, PHPBB, etc.---and a free one easy to deploy at that.
Table of Contents
Pony Forum features such niceties as:
- Installed in few easy steps on dotCloud
- Written in Python and uses the popular Django framework
- Mobile CSS that adapts the layout to your iPhone
- A redesigned, mobile-friendly admin interface
- Experimental dyslexia support
- A powerful editor for writing and creating content:
- Super simple Markdown-based formatting learnt in no time ...
- ... with automatic, typography-friendly SmartyPants conversion
- You can even create tables for data- and fact-based discussions!
- Values security and privacy with such things as:
- SSL support
- PBKDF2 password-hashing
- django-secure vetting
To use the app on dotCloud:
- dotCloud's CLI and a dotCloud account for deploying to their platform (see below)
To run it on your own computer:
- Python 2.7
- All packages in
- Firefox if you want to run the optional tests
Works on Ubuntu and the latest version of OS X.
At the moment, Windows 7/8 break during testing and dotCloud deployment. It is my intention to get Pony Forum working on Windows 7/8, but some of the required packages such as
PIL (the imaging library) often break on the operating system.
Follow the installation instructions here.
(To be decided.)
1: This has been disabled for the time being.