Better Errors replaces the standard Rails error page with a much better and more useful error page. It is also usable outside of Rails in any Rack app as Rack middleware.
- Full stack trace
- Source code inspection for all stack frames (with highlighting)
- Local and instance variable inspection
- Live REPL on every stack frame
Add this line to your application's Gemfile (under the development group):
group :development do gem "better_errors" end
If you would like to use Better Errors' advanced features (REPL, local/instance variable inspection, pretty stack frame names), you need to add the
binding_of_caller gem to your Gemfile:
This is an optional dependency however, and Better Errors will work without it.
If you're using Rails, there's nothing else you need to do.
If you're not using Rails, you need to insert
BetterErrors::Middleware into your middleware stack, and optionally set
BetterErrors.application_root if you'd like Better Errors to abbreviate filenames within your application.
Here's an example using Sinatra:
require "sinatra" require "better_errors" use BetterErrors::Middleware BetterErrors.application_root = File.expand_path("..", __FILE__) get "/" do raise "oops" end
- MRI 1.9.2, 1.9.3
- JRuby (1.9 mode) - advanced features unsupported
- Rubinius (1.9 mode) - advanced features unsupported
- Coming soon
- MRI 2.0.0 - the official API for grabbing caller bindings is slated for MRI 2.0.0, but it has not been implemented yet
yieldfrom the REPL segfaults MRI 1.9.x.
- Fork it
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create new Pull Request