Philippines Data Mashup
Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) have several reasonable articles about the 2015 census:-
- Population growth is strong, in 2000 there were 225 people per sq/km, and by 2015 there were now 337 people sq/km which works out to a (linear) 2.73% population growth year on year.
- the article above links to a MS Excel spreadsheet 2015 Population Density_web.xlsx with population data per City/Municipality unfortunately the spreadsheet is not well arranged to make easy use of the data (multiple values in single cells etc), so a fair bit of manual massaging of the dataset is required to get it into shape.
- after massaging the data into single columns and wrangling into a nice clean JSON formatted structure we get something that we can more easily work with - 2015 Population Density_web_clean-columns.json
- using the Google Maps Geocoding API service we are able to easily lookup the lat/long for all expressed City/Municipality names in the census dataset which then gets folded into the wrangled JSON formatted data using insertgeocode.py
- the combination of the PSA 2015 Census data and the Google Maps Geocode lookups is now quite useful 2015-population-density-w-google-geocode_20171218.json because we can use it to generate things like an interactive heatmap
Also worth a mention is the Philippine Statistics Authority Openstat facility with plenty of useful statistical about the Philippines:-