|master branch||develop branch|
CTest dashboard: https://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=Boost.Outcome
All tests passing source tarballs: https://github.com/ned14/outcome/releases
Purpose of this library
Outcome is a C++14 library for reporting and handling function failures. It can be used as a substitute for, or a complement to, the exception handling mechanism.
One use case is for contexts where using C++ exception handling is unsuitable for different reasons:
- The high relative cost of throwing and catching a C++ exception.
- Making some or all control paths explicitly detailed to aid code correctness auditing, as opposed to having hidden control paths caused by exceptions potentially thrown from any place.
- Company policy to compile with exceptions disabled.
- Maintaining a code base that was never designed with exception-safety in mind.
- Parts of the programs/frameworks that themselves implement exception handling and cannot afford to use exceptions, like propagating failure reports across threads, tasks, fibers…
Usage as a single header file
Outcome v2 comes in single header file form. This is regenerated per commit. To fetch on Linux:
If you have
curl -O -J -L https://github.com/ned14/outcome/raw/master/single-header/outcome.hpp
Otherwise, simply download the raw file from above and place it wherever it suits you. If you might be debugging using Microsoft Visual Studio, you may find the debugger visualisation file at https://github.com/ned14/outcome/raw/master/include/outcome/outcome.natvis useful to include into your build.
Commits and tags in this git repository can be verified using:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: GnuPG v2 mDMEVvMacRYJKwYBBAHaRw8BAQdAp+Qn6djfxWQYtAEvDmv4feVmGALEQH/pYpBC llaXNQe0WE5pYWxsIERvdWdsYXMgKHMgW3VuZGVyc2NvcmVdIHNvdXJjZWZvcmdl IHthdH0gbmVkcHJvZCBbZG90XSBjb20pIDxzcGFtdHJhcEBuZWRwcm9kLmNvbT6I eQQTFggAIQUCVvMacQIbAwULCQgHAgYVCAkKCwIEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAKCRCELDV4 Zvkgx4vwAP9gxeQUsp7ARMFGxfbR0xPf6fRbH+miMUg2e7rYNuHtLQD9EUoR32We V8SjvX4r/deKniWctvCi5JccgfUwXkVzFAk= =puFk -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----