An gnome-shell extension that makes window movement a lot easier. It can be compared with a basic version of the compiz grid plugin.
- krlmr - Move to other display
- 73 - Move focus
- Anthony25 - gnome-shell 3.12 support
- airtonix - gnome-shell 3.5 support
- zara86 - gnome-shell 3.16 support
- cleverlycoding - gnome-shell 3.18 support
The extension can be configured using the gnome prefs tool.
- East/West widths, North/South heights
- Change width and height when moving to corner (Always, only height, only width)
- Use multiple widths even if moving to other screen is possible
- Move focus using the keyboard
- move-focus-north/east/south/west using super + i/l/k/j (default)
- Application based config (hit the save button)
For application base configuration the extension requires the wnck library. If wnck is not installed, you can not open the preferences window
sudo zypper in libwnck-devel
pacman -S libwnck3
sudo yum install libwnck3(should be installed on F19) **
sudo dnf install linwnck3(dnf is the new yum since F23)
apt-get install gir1.2-wnck-3.0
Gnome Shell >= 3.4 Keybindings are configured using gsettings stored in a custom schema file inside the extension directory. To modify the keybindings use the "gnome prefs tool".
The following keys are available:
- move to north edge, height: 50% width 100%
- move to easth edge, height: 100% width 50%
- move to south edge, height: 50% width 100%
- move to west edge, height: 100% width 50%
- put-to-corner-XY width 50% height 50%
- move to center of the screen, widht 50% height 50%. Press twice to maximize the window
- resize to a configured location (see wiki for details)
Gnome Shell 3.2
In version 3.2 it was not possible for extension developers to add custom keybinding. This extension works (or let's better call say "worked") with v3.2 and used pre defined global keyboard binding.
For details, how to configure the extension in v3.2, please check the [[wiki|https://github.com/negesti/gnome-shell-extensions-negesti/wiki/Gnome-Shell-3.2]]
Multi screen setup support
the extention works well with mutliple screens.
Moving windows from one screen to another is currently only possible in horizontal setup. e.g. a window that is a the left or right side of one screen, can be moved to the next screen using keyboard shortcuts.
- Move to left screen: default binding: Left
- Move to right screen: default binding: Right
The keyboard settings can be changed using the preferences.
Copyright (c) 2011-2016 Clemens Eberwein
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of VERSION 2 of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation provided that the above copyright notice is included.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Go to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html to get a copy of the license.