An gnome-shell extension that makes window movement a lot easier. It can be compared with a basic version of the compiz grid plugin.
- krlmr - Move to other display
- 73 - Move focus
- Anthony25 - gnome-shell 3.12 support
- airtonix - gnome-shell 3.5 support
The extension can be configured using the gnome prefs tool.
- East/West widths, North/South heights
- Change width and height when moving to corner (Always, only height, only width)
- Use multiple widths even if moving to other screen is possible
- Move focus using the keyboard
- move-focus-north/east/south/west using super + i/l/k/j (default)
- Application based config (hit the save button)
For application base configuration the extension requires the wnck library. If wnck is not installed, you can not open the preferences window
sudo zypper in libwnck-devel
pacman -S libwnck3
sudo yum install libwnck3(should be installed on F19)
apt-get install gir1.2-wnck-3.0
Gnome Shell >= 3.4 Keybindings are configured using gsettings stored in a custom schema file inside the extension directory. To modify the keybindings use the "gnome prefs tool".
The following keys are available:
- move to north edge, height: 50% width 100%
- move to easth edge, height: 100% width 50%
- move to south edge, height: 50% width 100%
- move to west edge, height: 100% width 50%
- put-to-corner-XY width 50% height 50%
- move to center of the screen, widht 50% height 50%. Press twice to maximize the window
- resize to a configured location (see wiki for details)
Gnome Shell 3.2 The keybinding can not be stored in a custom schema. The extension uses de predefined bindings /apps/metacity/window_keybindings. Modify ghem with gconf-editor/gconftool/gconftool-2. run gconf-editor /apps/metacity/window_keybindings
For details how to configure it, please check the wiki.
2 screen setup support
the extention works well with 2 screens in horizontal setup.
Moving windows from one screen to another only possible widh side_e and side_w and only if windows was at side_e (or side_w) before. eg.
- a window in corner_nw of the right screen is not move to the left screen.
- a window at side_e of the right screen is move to the left screen (side_w)
June 24, 2014
- support gnome-shell 3.12
- #56 allow the user to disable keybindings
October 6, 2013
- Conributed by @krlmlr
- Fixed #37 Moving maximized window to other display
- General improvement for "move to other display"
July 20, 2013
- Settings are now organized in tabs
- New feature 'intelligent corner movement'
- New config option to keep window width when moving from center to north/south
- additional options for "move to corner". When moving to a corner you have the choice to change:
- only height
- only width
- never change size
- Nothing on first move, both on second
- Nothing on first move, only height on second
- Nothing on first move, only width on second
April 17, 2013
- "Move Focus" using the keyboard
- Fix for overlapping windows
- Contributors: @73
December 27, 2012
- Config to change center/maximize to maximize/center
Octover 31, 2012
- new the config ui including 3 heights
- fix window height if topPanel is visible
Octover 30, 2012
- Support multiple heights when moving to top/bottom
- "move to corner" uses widths and heights defined for sides
- atm NO CONFIG UI to define heights (can be modified in utils.js)
- true... move to corner multiple times will change width and height
- false.. width is not changed, if the window is has a "known" width
October 9, 2012
- Support multiple widths when moving to left/right side
- Added keybindings to move window to left/right screen
July 13, 2012
- Fixed config reload -> no need to reload the shell
July 08, 2012
- KNOWN ISSUES: config is not reloaded after modifying with the prefs tool (manual reload required)
- moved config to gsettings
- custom keybindings using gsettings
May 31, 2012
- dont maximize chrome, resize it to max-size (e.g. dont change into fullscreen mode)
May 12, 2012
- Added GTK Settings window
- Open from extensions.gnome.org
- Open from command line
April 26, 2012
- Extension is now 3.4 compatible (Tested with 3.4.1)
- SettingsWindow is disabled for the moment (will be replaced by tweak-tool "plugin")
- The shell uses gsettings now!
January 15, 2012
- added a config ui
- position.x/y/width/height must be integers between 0 and 100 (was 0...1)
December 17, 2011
- fix a bug that occures if the top panel is hidden.
- checkout https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/42/auto-hide-top-panel/ it's awesome!
December 11, 2011
- reduced the horizontal and vertical "gap" between windows
- hitting move_to_center twice will now correctly maximize evolution