Laptop is a script to set up your Max OS X laptop as a Rails development machine.
Before you run this script, you need compilers like GCC, LLVM, and Clang.
Run the script:
bash < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/neiled/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- SSH public key (for authenticating with services like Github and Heroku)
- Homebrew (for managing operating system libraries)
- Ack (for finding things in files)
- Tmux (for saving project state and switching between projects)
- Postgres (for storing relational data)
- Redis (for storing key-value data)
- ImageMagick (for cropping and resizing images)
- RVM (for managing versions of the Ruby programming language)
- Ruby language (for writing general-purpose code)
- Bundler gem (for managing Ruby libraries)
- Rails gem (for writing web applications)
- Heroku gem (for interacting with the Heroku API)
- Taps gem (for pushing and pulling SQL databases between environments)
- Postgres gem (for making Ruby talk to SQL databases)
- Foreman gem (for serving your Rails app locally)
- Git Remote Branch gem (for faster git branch creation and deletion)
- Heroku accounts plugin (for using multiple Heroku accounts like a client's account)
- Heroku config plugin (for pulling config variables locally to be used as ENV variables)
It should take about 30 minutes for everything to install, depending on your machine.