Hi there, I'm Neil
I work at PostHog, which is open source, which means I can now have Github stats and not feel disappointed:
I love learning in public, and I want to use this section to track what I did at work. I'm a big fan of data driven understanding - and I hope this log gives me a better understanding of what I'm getting done.
Things I'm doing: Click to expand!
20 August 2021
I owned my first project! https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/issues/5543
Apart from thinking hard about this, the regular sprint continues. Working on Paths - the new feature!
This week's been pretty cool, because I'm finally doing more of the ground-up startupy stuff: thinking through things from scratch, building PoCs, gathering results, and then finally building the product.
13 August 2021
Final sprint for Funnels, got the vaccine, got sick afterwards, didn't do much, except this one big bug fix for funnel breakdowns: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5655, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5538
6 August 2021
Remember how Support Hero was a lot of fun? (Week of 21 May, 2021). Time for round 2. A lot less overwhelming, as I knew a lot more about things (but still not everything).
Random bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5486 etc. etc.
30 July 2021
More bug fixes, some tricky things to grasp, and finally dipped into other unknown areas. I follow a land-and-expand strategy: get really good at understanding one part of the system, then slowly expand from that "base" to understand rest of the system. This usually means that my work speed slows down, as I parse through all the new stuff.
A good way to do this is to pick up bugs at the edges of what you know. That's what I've been doing:
- Dashboard bug: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5395
- Caching bugs: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5399
- Breakdown in funnels bug: mix of frontend and backend issues - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5357
23 July 2021
Final sprint before Funnels meant lots of QA, lots of bugfixing, and lots of testing :) - I'm so tired now.
- Special Bugs: When your new technologies don't work like you'd expect: https://github.com/ClickHouse/ClickHouse/issues/26580, and patches for it: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5283
- Bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5174, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5277, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5292, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5308, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5315, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5316
16 July 2021
Lots of gathering requirements, getting to the bottom of new features we want to implement: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/issues/5074 - and reminders to think from first principles.
- And then doing it: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5104
- Some code rearchitectures that make future-work so much easier: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5043
- Random bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5055
9 July 2021
Who knew playing around with SQL, and generating interesting queries could be so much fun? This week was more dakka: more add ons, more functionality to the basic funnel APIs. Some clever refactoring + testing mechanisms, that I enjoyed setting up
- Interesting test infra setup with Funnel Breakdowns - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5043
- Refactoring to remove obsolete concepts - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5037
- Bells and whistles - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5024
- Random bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/5055
2 July 2021
Some big funnel improvements
- Remember to create tests for backwards compatibility! - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4946
- Unordered funnels, people, and more - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4943, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4890
25 June 2021
I was getting pretty comfortable with my role, and that seemed like the best time to switch teams
- Some complex funnels: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4868, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4863
- When revisiting setting up, always update docs for whoever comes after you :) - https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1506
18 June 2021
Finishing up new processes for the Plugin Developer Experience, plus excellent docs.
- https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-plugin-starter-kit/pull/7, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1467
- Fun bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4772
- Odds and ends: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4755, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1497
11 June 2021
Well, plugin installation is deprioritized for now. New focus: plugin development experience! Lots of time spent thinking about how the documentation should look like, what workflows should the code promote, and what feels confusing.
- Making the Plugin Development Experience nicer: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1467, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4688
- Wrangling with BigQuery: https://github.com/PostHog/bigquery-plugin/pull/9
- Good Habit of mind - when things are hard to debug, write code to make it easier to debug similar issues in the future: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/465
4 June 2021
Thinking about a big project, and learning enough about the interacting systems to design a decent solution can be hard! Really looking forward to finishing the plugin installation step.
- Plugin Install Step: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/issues/405, https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/456
- Debugging S3 Queues: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/451
28 May 2021
Getting comfortable with the codebase, starting to focus on reviewing others' code. It's interesting to try and model how new changes would affect the existing code. Further, this helped uncover my blindspots - glad I started this earlier than later!
- Some interesting bug fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-js/pull/233, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-js/pull/234
- Accompanying blog post:
- Random odds and ends: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/441, https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/447, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-js/pull/236
21 May 2021
I was Support Hero this week! It's... intense! Lots of user issues that I first have to learn about myself, and then solve. This took a surprisingly long amount of time, but was very worth it: it helped me see where actual users of PostHog get stuck.
- Built Plugin Capabilities: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/384, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4371
- This was my first big feature: involving touching a lot of things and understanding the system, so I could come up with a decent solution. Fun stuff!
- Support fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-python/pull/32
It's funny how this appears to be the least productive week so far, but I felt I got much more out of it, vs the past 2 weeks. I ought to do Support Hero more often than the usual schedule, if possible.
14 May 2021
- Disallow Plugins from changing the teamID: https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/381
- I messed up here a bit, forgot to take care of batch events (https://github.com/PostHog/plugin-server/pull/396)
- Add Sentry+Django integration to Python library: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-python/pull/13
- Bug fixes: feature flag rollout %: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-python/pull/30
- Random typos and fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4315, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1335
7 May 2021
Week 1 at PostHog!
- Build a new plugin - the Downsampling Plugin: https://github.com/PostHog/downsampling-plugin/pull/1
- Add support for
$set_onceto Python library: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-python/pull/23
- I messed up here a bit: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog-python/pull/28 - be moaar careful about tests that don't pass on local but pass on master
- Interesting difference in workflow causing bugs: I didn't think of pulling master because I'm used to working off of forks, vs pre-existing branches
- Random typos and fixes: https://github.com/PostHog/posthog/pull/4220, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1307, https://github.com/PostHog/posthog.com/pull/1316