We love pull requests. Here's a quick guide:
Fork the repo.
Run the tests. We only take pull requests with passing tests, and it's great to know that you have a clean slate:
bundle && rake test
Add a test for your change. Only refactoring and documentation changes require no new tests. If you are adding functionality or fixing a bug, we need a test!
Make the test pass.
Push to your fork and submit a pull request.
At this point you're waiting on us. We like to at least comment on, if not accept, pull requests within three business days (and, typically, one business day). We may suggest some changes or improvements or alternatives.
Some things that will increase the chance that your pull request is accepted:
- Use Rails idioms and helpers
- Include tests that fail without your code, and pass with it
- Update the documentation and README for anything affected by your contribution
- Two spaces, no tabs.
- No trailing whitespace. Blank lines should not have any space.
- Prefer &&/|| over and/or.
- MyClass.my_method(my_arg) not my_method( my_arg ) or my_method my_arg.
- a = b and not a=b.
- Follow the conventions you see used in the source already.
And in case we didn't emphasize it enough: we love tests!
NOTE: Adapted from https://raw.github.com/thoughtbot/factory_girl_rails/master/CONTRIBUTING.md