Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 50 million developers.Sign up
The v1.26.0 release of the Netdata Agent brings exciting new collectors written in Go, a new integration with the DevOps startup StackPulse, and massive improvements to the way users navigate Netdata's documentation. We've also added compatibility with an exciting new feature that's coming soon to Netdata Cloud—stay tuned!
This release contains 3 new collectors, 1 new notifcation method, 21 improvements, 13 documentation updates, and 12 bug fixes.
At a glance
The Netdata Agent can now collect metrics from files/directories, systemd units, and ISC DHCP servers. These new collectors are part of our larger effort to migrate all collectors to Go, which provides more extensibility compared to previous implementations. You can read about each of these new collectors in our docs: filecheck, systemd, isc_dhcpd.
We're excited to extend our health watchdog even further to integrate with StackPulse, which is designed to help SREs manage and respond to incidents with code and automation. You can read more about how to configure Netdata to send notifications to StackPulse in the docs.
We rearchitected our docs/education site, Netdata Learn, to focus on users actions rather than the Netdata Agent's hierarchy of code. The core docs now better guide users through the most important actions, such as configuring collectors and interacting with charts, independent of whether they use only the Netdata Agent, or the Agent in combination with Netdata Cloud. Of course, all of our reference documentation is still alive and kicking for those who want to dive into every configuration option or API query. We also revamped our guides page with better visuals, a search/filter, and more rational categories.
We're grateful to the Netdata community for their contributions for this release.
- @HolgerHees for fixing the comment syntax in Netdata's systemd file. (#10066,
- @Saruspete for fixing a file descriptor leak in the Infiniband colector (
- @hamedbrd for adding a new Go-based systemd unit state collector and fixing gauges for the
- @chadknutson for adding chart for churn rates to
- @hydrogen-mvm for adding a missing period in the Netdata dashboard.
- @roedie for adding a missing libelf-dev dependency.
- @Dim-P) and @disko for documentation improvements.
- Add the ability to send Agent alarm notifications to StackPulse. (#9965, @thiagoftsm)
- Add a way to get build configuration info from the Agent. (#9913, @Ferroin)
- Add chart for churn rates to
python.d/rabbitmq. (#10031, @chadknutson)
faileddim to the
connection_failsalarm in the Portcheck alarm. (#10048, @ilyam8)
- Improve the data query when using the context parameter (#9978, @stelfrag).
- Add a context parameter to the data endpoint. (#9931, @stelfrag)
- Change default ACLK query thread count. (#10009, @underhood)
- Remove leading whitespace before JSON in ACLK. (#9998, @underhood)
- Allow using libwebsockets without SOCKS5. (#9973, @underhood)
- Add information about Cloud disabled status to
-W buildinfo. (#9936, @underhood)
- Update go.d.plugin version to
v0.23.0. (#10046, @ilyam8)
- Add missing period in Netdata dashboard. (#9960, @hydrogen-mvm)
- Add missing tests to the web server. (#10008, @thiagoftsm)
NETDATA_LISTENER_PORT. (#10045, @knatsakis)
- Add a few changes that were missed by the systemd updater support. (#10007, @Ferroin)
- Switch to our installer's bundling code for libJudy in static installs. (#9988, @Ferroin)
- Add improved auto-update support. (#9966, @Ferroin)
- Add missing libelf-dev dependency. (#9974, @roedie)
- Update RPM spec file to use automatic dependency list generation. (#9937, @Ferroin)
- Add support for using
/etc/cron.dfor auto-updates. (#9598, @Ferroin)
- Add more stringent check for C99 support in configure script. (#9982, @Ferroin)
- Add note about using
nolockwhen debugging. (#10036, @andrewm4894)
- Update claiming document to instruct users to install
uuidgen. (#9925, @OdysLam)
- Fix link in exporting document. (#10020, @Dim-P)
- Clean up and better cross-link new
docsv2documents. (#10015, @joelhans)
- Update FreeBSD documentation with updated packages. (#10005, @disko)
- Add documentation for claiming k8s parent pods and Prometheus service discovery. (#10001, @joelhans)
docsv2project to master branch. (#10000, @joelhans)
- Fix setting for disabling eBPF-apps.plugin integration. (#9967, @joelhans)
- Fix Stackpulse doc. (#9968, @thiagoftsm)
- Add persistent configuration details to Docker docs. (#9926, @joelhans)
- Add guide for monitoring Pi-hole and Raspberry Pi. (#9770, @joelhans)
- Add notice to Docker docs about systemd volumes. (#9927, @thiagoftsm)
mirrored_hosts_statusinto Swagger docs. (#9867, @underhood)
- Fix systemd comment syntax. (#10066, @HolgerHees)
- Fix file descriptor leak in Infiniband collector (
proc.plugin). (#10013, @Saruspete)
- Fix the data endpoint to prioritize chart over context if both are present. (#10032, @stelfrag)
- Fix cleanup of obsolete charts. (#9985, @mfundul)
- Fix typos in installer functions. (#9992, @Ferroin)
- Fix typo inside netdata-installer.sh (#9962, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix build for the AWS Kinesis exporting connector. (#9823, @vlvkobal)
- Fix incorrect condition in updater type detection. (#10028, @Ferroin)
- Fix gauges for
go.d.plugin/web_logcollector. (#10029, @hamedbrd)
- Fix locking order to address CID_362348. (#9991, @stelfrag)
- Fix chart's last accessed time during context queries. (#9952, @stelfrag)
- Fix resource leak in case of malformed request to Netdata Cloud. (#9934, @underhood)
The v1.25.0 release of the Netdata Agent is focused on improving Netdata's usability across the board. We added more customization to how the Prometheus collector implemented in v1.24 meaningfully visualizes metrics. In addition, we've focused on fixing bugs and ensuring that core functionality of the Netdata Agent, such as the ACLK, works more efficiently.
This release contains 1 new collector, 27 improvements, 15 documentation updates, and 59 bug fixes.
At a glance
Improved filtering and grouping for the Prometheus collector gives you more flexibility in how Netdata collects and visualizes metrics from more than 600 Prometheus endpoints. The Prometheus collector is designed to visualize every metric exposed on a Prometheus endpoint generically, but one chart for every metric is often not the most meaningful presentation. Filtering and grouping options bring the same "bespoke" feeling that you find in our other collectors, such as having input/output metrics on a single chart instead of two.
You can read about filtering and grouping in our documentation right now. If you haven't heard about the generic Prometheus collector, read our v1.24 blog post for details on why we continuously make Netdata more interoperable with other monitoring solutions.
We also made significant improvements to the robustness and responsiveness of the Agent-Cloud link (ACLK), which is used to stream metrics and alarm status if you sign up for Netdata Cloud and claim your nodes. The disconnect and reconnect process is now more reliable, and all metrics data is now Gzip compressed. Now that the payloads are smaller and more quickly processed, you'll see improved responsiveness when viewing dashboards in Netdata Cloud.
We added a new Elasticsearch collector, written in Go, to help you collect metrics from and monitor Elasticsearch instances. This collector is preinstalled with the Netdata Agent and often works with zero configuration, but can also be tweaked to collect only specific stats, gather metrics with TLS, and more. See the documentation for generated charts and configuration options.
We're grateful to the Netdata community for a huge wave of contributions for this release.
- @mklepaczewski for adding a JSON log parser to the
- @glesys-andreas for adding socket support for the
- @K900 for adding and documenting how to read container names from Podman.
- @pando85 for fixing the link to Caddyfile's basicauth in the Docker documentation.
- @roedie for improving Debian packaging by streamlining control and init files.
- @vsc55 for adding support for IP ranges in the
- @mrbarletta for fixing MySQL collector documentation to mention the
- @Saruspete for fixing RPM build script version issues.
- @michmach for improving the uninstall script to correctly state if the group was deleted.
- @Steve8291 for removing PrivateMounts in systemd journal logs.
- @mrbrutti for updating
netdata-installer.shto enable Netdata Cloud support in macOS.
- @weijing24 for adding RAM info for macOS to
- @scottymuse for fixing latency-avg chart units in the
- @Ancairon for improving
proc.pluginto collect the active processes limit on Linux systems.
- @scatenag for fixing TLS over LDAP in the
- @florianmagnin for adding new options to the
python.d/varnishcollector for multiple storage backends.
- @devinrsmith for fixing the print message when building for Ubuntu Focal.
- Add code to release memory used by the global GUID map (#9729, @stelfrag)
- Add check for spurious wakeups (#9751, @vlvkobal)
- Add v2 HTTP message with compression to ACLK (#9895, @underhood)
- Add version negotiation to ACLK (#9819, @underhood)
claimed_idfor child nodes streamed to their parents (#9804, @underhood)
netdata-installer.shto enable Netdata Cloud support in macOS (#9360, @mrbrutti)
- Update go.d.plugin version to v0.22.0 (#9898, @ilyam8)
- Update go.d.plugin version to v0.21.0 (#9881, @ilyam8)
- Add support for IP ranges to Python-based isc_dhcpd collector (#9755, @vsc55)
- Add Network viewer charts to
- Add collecting active processes limit on Linux systems (#9843, @Ancairon)
- Improve eBPF plugin by removing unnecessary debug messages (#9754, @thiagoftsm)
- Add CAP_SYS_CHROOT for netdata service to read LXD network interfaces (#9726, @vlvkobal)
- Add collecting
- Add option for multiple storage backends in
- Update dashboard v1.4.2 (#9837, @jacekkolasa)
- Disable calls to netdata.cloud when --disable-cloud option is used during installation (#114, @jacekkolasa)
- Fix Y-axis and auto-scaling for constant values (#115 & (#117, @jacekkolasa)
- Fix broken dashboard when browser is configured to have no preferred language (#118, @jacekkolasa)
- Fix d3-pie chart unit conversion on updates (#119, @jacekkolasa)
- Update dashboard to v1.3.1 (#9786, @jacekkolasa)
- Improve handling of offline installs (#9805, @Ferroin)
- Improve Debian packaging by streamlining control and init files (#8982, @roedie)
- Remove dependency on libJudy for systems which don't have it (#9859, @Ferroin)
- Add code to bundle libJudy on systems which do not provide a usable copy of it (#9776, @Ferroin)
- Improve temporary directory checking in installer and updater (#9797, @Ferroin)
- Add proper certificate handling cURL in our static build (#9733, @Ferroin)
- Improve and correct vulnerability reporting instructions (#9696, @cakrit)
- Update supported collectors doc to organize by type (#9513, @joelhans)
- Change instruction to reload HEALTH (#9869, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix typo in health documentation (#9860, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix broken
Edit this pagelink in simple patterns doc (#9847, @joelhans)
- Remove Google Charts info from API doc (#9826, @joelhans)
- Fix broken link and clean up frontmatter in health docs (#9813, @joelhans)
- Improve dbengine docs and add new multihost setting (#9817, @joelhans)
- Improve health docs by adding daemon config to health section and standardizing IP references (#8837, @joelhans)
- Add and document support for reading container names from Podman in cgroups.plugin (#9474, @K900)
- Fix docker packaging caddyserver basicauth link (#9812, @pando85)
- Fix MySQL collector documentation to mention
netdatauser (#9555, @mrbarletta)
- Add community link to readme (#9602, @zack-shoylev)
- Add v1.24 news to main README (#9721, @aabatangle)
- Fix setting the default value of the home directory to the environment's HOME (#9711, @cakrit)
- Fix memory mode none not dropping stale dimension data (#9917, @mfundul)
- Fix memory mode none not marking dimensions as obsolete (#9912, @mfundul)
- Fix race condition with orphan hosts (#9862, @mfundul)
- Fix the log level in cgroup-network helper (#9836, @vlvkobal)
- Fix empty dbengine files (#9820, @mfundul)
- Fix timestamps for global variables in Prometheus output (#9779, @vlvkobal)
- Fix long stats.d chart names (suggested by @vince-lessbits) (#9783, @amoss)
- Fix HTTP header for the remote write exporting connector (#9775, @vlvkobal)
- Fix netfilter to close when receiving a SIGPIPE (#9756, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix exporting update point (#9748, @vlvkobal)
- Fix for ignored LXC containers (#9645, @vlvkobal)
- Fix issue with missing alarms (#9712, @stelfrag)
- Fix child memory corruption by removing broken optimization in the sender thread (#9703, @amoss)
- Fix crash when receiving malformed labels via streaming. (#9715, @mfundul)
- Fix collectors on MacOS and FreeBSD to ignore archived charts. (#9695, @mfundul)
- Fix sending follow-up alarms when the initial status matches the notification (#9698, @cakrit)
- Fix typo in option name used to use bundled libJudy (#9893, @prologic)
- Fix handling of libJudy bundling for RPM packages (#9875, @Ferroin)
- Fix another typo in the libJudy bundling code (#9904, @Ferroin)
- Fix missing newline concatentation slash causing failures in RPM builds (#9900, @prologic)
- Fix high CPU in IPFS collector by disabling call to the
/api/v0/stats/repoendpoint by default (#9687, @ilyam8)
- Fix flushing errors (#9738, @mfundul)
- Fix bugs in handling of Python 3 dependencies on install (#9839, @Ferroin)
- Fix RPM build script version issues (#9808, @Saruspete)
- Fix installation to not install eBPF plugin components when they shouldn't be installed (#9844, @vlvkobal)
- Fixed tmpdir handling failure on macOS/FreeBSD. (#9842, @Ferroin)
netdata-uninstaller.shto correctly state whether the group was deleted (#9835, @michmach)
- Fix updater bug introduced by incomplete variable rename in #8808 (#9834, @Ferroin)
- Fixed bug in installer introduced by #8808 (#9831, @Ferroin)
- Fix systemd journal logs to remove PrivateMounts (#9619, @Steve8291)
- Fix netdata-updater.sh to correctly pass
- Fix handling of offline installs (#9805, @Ferroin)
- Fix install if system does not have ebpf.plugin (#9809, @roedie)
- Fix packaging to enable eBPF collector only if enabled in config.h (#9752, @Saruspete)
- Fix numerous bugs in duplicate install handling (#9769, @Ferroin)
- Fix netdata/netdata Docker image size (#9669, @prologic)
- Fix global GUID map memory leak (#9725, @stelfrag)
- Fix buffer overflow in rrdr structure (#9903, @mfundul)
- Fix HTTP error messages in alarm notifications (#9887, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix lock order reversal (Coverity defect CID 361629) (#9888, @mfundul)
- Fix missing macOS RAM info in
- Fix latency-avg chart units in
- Fix TLS over LDAP in the
python.d/openldapcollector (#9853, @scatenag)
- Fix multi-host DB corruption when legacy metrics reside in localhost. (#9855, @mfundul)
- Fix compilation warnings on FreeBSD (#9845, @underhood)
- Fix proxy forwarding claim_id to old parent (#9828, @underhood)
- Fix old dashboard third-party packaging (#9814, @jacekkolasa)
- Fix loading custom dashboard_info in /old dashboard (#9792, @jacekkolasa)
- Fix unit tests for exporting engine (#9766, @vlvkobal)
- Fix code formatting for the mdstat collector (#9749, @vlvkobal)
- Fix health notifications configuration to clarify which notifications are received when the "|critical" limit is set (#9740, @cakrit)
- Fix print message when building for Ubuntu Focal (#9694, @devinrsmith)
- Fix alarm redirection link for Cloud to stop showing 404 (#9688, @cakrit)
The v1.24.0 release of the Netdata Agent brings enhancements to the breadth of metrics we collect with a new generic Prometheus/OpenMetrics collector and enhanced storage and querying with a new multi-host database mode.
At a glance
This release broadens our commitment to open standards, interoperability, and extensibility with a new generic Prometheus collector that works seamlessly with any application that makes its metrics available in the Prometheus/OpenMetrics exposition format, including support for Windows 10 via windows_exporter. Netdata will autodetect over 600 Prometheus endpoints and instantly generate charts with all the exposed metrics, meaningfully visualized.
The Netdata Agent database engine enables long-term storage of per-second metrics inside the Agent using both RAM and disk space. In our new, multi-host database mode, parent and child nodes share resources in a single instance. Any pre-existing child node metrics remain in the legacy dbengine paths to ensure backward compatibility. To migrate those nodes to the new multi-host DB, simply delete those metric cache paths. This new mode supports distributed queries for the Agent as well as specific scenarios like streaming metrics from the child to parent database, streaming multiple child nodes to a single parent, and remembering which child or children are connected to the database even if streaming hasn't started.
- @lassebm for the FreeBSD interface error alarms
- @Saruspete for fixing the RPM default permissions for /usr/libexec/netdata
- @Steve8291 for adjusting check-kernel-config.sh to run in bash
- @bmatheny for adding pihole to the dns app group
- @tinyhammers for templatizing the health/megacli alarms
- Add generic Prometheus/OpenMetrics collector (#9644, @ilyam8)
- Add locking between different collectors for the same application, implemented in different technologies (#9584, @vlvkobal), (#9564, @ilyam8)
- Implement multihost database (#9556, @stelfrag)
- Add alarms for FreeBSD interface errors (#8340, @lassebm)
- Add documentation to provide a comprehensive guide for package maintainers (#9467, @Ferroin)
- Add documentation to provide a comprehensive guide for package maintainers (#9467, @Ferroin)
Packaging / Installation
- Remove delay in updater script for non-interactive runs from install scripts. (#9589, @Ferroin)
- Remove runtime support for Polymorphic Linux from our Docker containers. (#9566, @Ferroin)
- Add better checks for existing installs to the kickstart scripts. (#9408, @Ferroin)
- Require cloud build to succeed in make dist checks. (#9218, @Ferroin)
- Use the libbpf library for the eBPF plugin (#9490, @vlvkobal)
- Fix Travis CI and remove deprecated/removed builds that have no upstream LXC image (#9630, @prologic)
- Fetch libbpf from netdata fork (#9637, @vlvkobal)
- Fix RPM default permissions for /usr/libexec/netdata (#9621, @Saruspete)
- Add eBPF collector support to DEB and RPM packages. (#9628, @Ferroin)
- Add sandboxing exception for
/run/netdata. (#9613, @Ferroin)
- Remove delay in updater script for non-interactive runs from install scripts. (#9589, @Ferroin)
- Add proper handling for autogen on Ubuntu 18.04 (#9586, @Ferroin)
- Remove runtime support for Polymorphic Linux from our Docker containers. (#9566, @Ferroin)
- Add CAP_SYS_RESOURCE to capability bounding set. (#9569, @Ferroin)
- Add better checks for existing installs to the kickstart scripts. (#9408, @Ferroin)
- Enable simple sandboxing on systemd service (#9234, @Izorkin)
- Revert the eBPF package bundling that breaks the release and DEB packages. (#9552, @prologic)
- Add libbpf patch to make dist. (#9571, @Ferroin)
- charts.d: fix
current_time_ms_from_dateon macOS (#9636, @ilyam8)
- python.d/gearmand: handle func prefixes in
status\nresponse (#9610, @ilyam8)
- Stop mdstat collector from looking up archived charts. (#9583, @mfundul)
- Fixes mempcpy->memcpy (#9575, @underhood)
- charts.d.plugin: never use
- health/megacli: change all instances of alarm to template (#9553, @tinyhammers)
- Adjust check-kernel-config.sh to run in bash (#9633, @Steve8291)
Other Notable Changes
- Send netdata.public.unique.id (machine GUID) with claim (#9574, @underhood)
- Add pihole to the dns app group (#9557, @bmatheny)
- Implemented the HOST command in metadata log replay (#9489, @stelfrag)
- Implemented default disk space size calculation for multihost db (#9504, @stelfrag)
- Suppress warning -Wformat-truncation in ACLK (#9547, @underhood)
- Dashboard improvements (#9639, @jacekkolasa)
Release v1.23.2 of the Netdata Agent is a patch for one significant issue.
PR #9491 fixed a buffer overrun vulnerability in Netdata's JSON parsing code. This vulnerability could be used to crash Agents remotely, and in some circumstances, could be used in an arbitrary code execution (ACE) exploit.
We strongly encourage all Netdata users to update their nodes to v1.23.2 as soon as possible.
This release also contains additional bug fixes and improvements.
- @Saruspete for adding Infiniband monitoring to Netdata!
- @meesaltena for fixing a typo in
- @anirudhdggl for tweaking the PyMySQL library to respect the
my.cnfparameter when monitoring MySQL.
- @candrews for cleaning up the exporting engine by wrapping header definitions in compilation conditions.
- @RubenKelevra for deploying an update to the IPFS collector that makes it compatible with IPFS v0.5.0+.
- @vsc55 for adding support for returning headers using python.d's UrlService.
- Add support for multiple ACLK query processing threads (#9355, @underhood)
- Add Infiniband monitoring to collector proc.plugin (#9091, @Saruspete)
- Change the HTTP method to make the IPFS collector compatible with 0.5.0+ (#9248, @RubenKelevra)
- Add support for returning headers using python.d's UrlService (#9236, @vsc55)
- Fix broken link in Kavenegar notification doc (#9492, @joelhans)
- Add documentation for installing Netdata on k8s clusters (#9364, @joelhans)
- Add notices to packaging docs for access errors and Cloud dependencies (#9422, @joelhans)
- Fix broken link to Polyverse in Docker documentation (#9426, @joelhans)
- Add notice to eBPF documentation about incompatibility with static builds (#9418, @joelhans)
Packaging / installation
- Properly include eBPF collector in binary packages. (#9450, @Ferroin)
- Fix typo in netdata-installer.sh (#9433, @meesaltena)
- Fix broken link to Polyverse in Docker documentation (#9426, @joelhans)
- Add first class support for FreeBSD (#9413, @prologic)
- Fix vulnerability in JSON parsing (#9491, @underhood)
- Fixed stored number accuracy (#9540, @stelfrag)
- Fix transition from archived to active charts not generating alarms (#9536, @mfundul)
- Fix PyMySQL library to respect
my.cnfparameter (#9526, @anirudhdggl)
- Remove health from archived metrics (#9520, @mfundul)
- Update exporting engine to read the prefix option from instance config sections (#9463, @vlvkobal)
- Fix display error in Swagger API documentation (#9417, @underhood)
- Wrap exporting engine header definitions in compilation conditions (#9458, @candrews)
- Improve cgroups collector to autodetect unified cgroups (#9249, @underhood)
- Fix CMake build failing if ACLK is disabled (#9537, @underhood)
- Fix now_ms in charts.d collector to prevent tc-qos-helper crashes (#9510, @ilyam8)
- Fix python.d crashes by adding a lock to stdout write function (#9508, @ilyam8)
- Fix an issue with random crashes when updating a chart's metadata on the fly (#9509, @stelfrag)
- Fix ACLK protocol version always parsed as 0 (#9502, @underhood)
- Fix the check condition for chart name change (#9503, @stelfrag)
- Fix the exporting engine unit tests (#9460, @vlvkobal)
- Fix a Coverity defect for resource leaks (#9462, @vlvkobal)
Release v1.23.1 of the Netdata Agent is a patch for two significant issues.
PR #9436 fixed an issue where dimensions were marked obsolete and archived simultaneously, which caused segmentation faults. We're grateful to marioem, who first reported the issue, and other members of the Netdata community who contributed their insights and valuable log information, which we used to diagnose and fix the bug.
PR [#9428] fixed a significant issue with duplicate alarm IDs, which caused issues in how alarms were sent and displayed in Netdata Cloud.
This release also contains a few additional bug fixes that were not fully reviewed before the release of v1.23.0.
- Disallow dimensions and chart being obsolete and archived simultaneously. (#9436, @mfundul)
- Fix duplicate alarm ids in health-log.db (#9428, @stelfrag)
- Show cgroups/containers ran by Kubelet without access to Kubernetes cluster information (#9321, @cakrit)
- Fix children version on stream (#9438, @thiagoftsm)
- Fix internal registry (#9434, @thiagoftsm)
- Correct virtualization detection in system-info.sh (#9425, @Ferroin)
- Fix the unittest execution (#9445, @thiagoftsm)
- Update description in registry with minor copy edits (#9441, @amoss)
- Stop reading from /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease at trailing newline (#9374, @sjuxax)
The v1.23.0 release of the Netdata Agent is all about unlocking new depths of visibility for your applications, services, and systems. We have Kubernetes service discovery, new eBPF metrics like virtual filesystem switch and bandwidth per process out of the Linux kernel at event frequency, more interoperability with your monitoring stack thanks to a new exporting engine, and much more.
This release contains 2 new collectors, 1 new exporting connector, 1 new alarm notification method, 55 improvements, 45 documentation updates, and 40 bug fixes.
At a glance
Our service discovery collector detects Kubernetes (k8s) pods and immediately collects metrics from 22 different services as the associated pods are created, destroyed, and scaled. Service discovery is installed when you use our Helm chart, which means you can now collect and visualize service-, pod-, Kubelet-, kube-proxy-, and node-level k8s metrics with one
helm install command and zero configuration. All our Kubernetes monitoring components are open source and free for clusters of any size.
Our low-level Linux kernel monitoring via eBPF is now supercharged. Thanks to an integration with
apps.plugin, you can now monitor how a specific application interacts with the Linux kernel. This update also includes new metrics, such as virtual filesystem switch, bandwidth per process, and much more. Netdata collects these metrics at an event frequency, even better than our famous 1s granularity, so that you can debug applications or anomalies with pinpoint accuracy. The eBPF collector is also now installed and enabled by default except on static builds.
Read our guide on troubleshooting apps with eBPF metrics for more details.
Netdata is now more interoperable with your existing monitoring stack thanks to the exporting engine, which replaces the backends system. You can now export to multiple external databases through Graphite, Google Cloud Pub/Sub, Prometheus remote write, MongoDB, and JSON connectors, plus others. Send metrics as soon as they're collected to enrich single pane of glass views or analyze Netdata's metrics with machine learning.
Read our guide on exporting metrics to Graphite for specifics on just one of many pipelines you can set up to archive your Netdata metrics.
We're also releasing an improvement for the availability of your monitoring and metrics: persistent metadata. The Agent now writes metadata to disk alongside metrics to allow access to non-active charts from Netdata Cloud and enable future features.
We added some enhancements to our documentation site, including a new guides section. We'll continue to populate with more use case- and scenario-based content to help you monitor, troubleshoot, visualize, and export your Netdata metrics.
- okias for adding support for Matrix notifications.
- elelayan for adding an OSD size collection chart to the Ceph collector.
- vsc55 for fixing the required packages for Gentoo builds.
- rushikeshjadhav for fixing the Xenstat collector to correctly track the last number of vCPUs.
- Saruspete for removing conflicting EPEL packages.
- MrFreezeex for fixing suid bits in Debian packaging.
- Neamar for fixing a typo in the dashboard's description of the
- jeffgdotorg for fixing incorrectly formatted TYPE lines in the Prometheus backend/exporter.
- tnyeanderson for continuing to improve his
- dpsy4 for fixing our Swagger API file.
- araemo for fixing alarms around RAM usage in ZFS systems.
- slavaGanzin for implementing a fix to the PostgreSQL collector.
- pkrasam, thoggs, oneoneonepig, Steve8291, stephenrauch, waybeforenow, zvarnes, electropup42, cherouvim, thenktor, webash and gruentee for contributing documentation changes.
- Added libuv thread names support to FATAL log level. (#9382) by mfundul
- Updated the React dashboard to v1.0.14_2. (#9350) by jacekkolasa
- Improved PR guidelines for developers and contributors. (#8809) by prologic
- Removed master-slave verbiage and replaced it with parent-child. (#9323) by amoss, (#9312) by joelhans
- Added support for persistent metadata. (#9324) by stelfrag
- Add verbose prints when spawn server fails to spawn. (#9305) by mfundul
- Updated streaming protocol calculate clock-slew and gap-size when child nodes reconnect to a parent. (#9214) by amoss
- Implemented a new incremental parser for internal plugins and child nodes. (#9074) by stelfrag
- Improved database engine by reducing its minimum size to 64 MiB. (#9094) by mfundul
- Added alphabetical sort and automatic scroll to
dash.html. (#8762) by tnyeanderson
- Added a spawn server to improved Agent scalability by reducing the impact of alarm execution and notification to critical sections in the main health thread. (#8407) by mfundul
- Added metrics for ACLK performance and status to the Netdata Monitoring section of the dashboard. (#9269) by underhood
- Improved the node re-claiming process by regenerating the topic base. (#9044) by amoss
- Updated the Go orchestrator to v0.19.2. (#9340) by ilyam8
- Added the
agent-service-discoverycollector plugin to
apps_group.conf. (#9315) by ilyam8
- Improved consistency of Kubernetes cgroup names. (#9303) by cakrit
- Updated the Go orchestrator to v0.19.1. (#9309) by ilyam8
- Added imunify and lsphp to
apps_groups.conf. (#9284) by thiagoftsm
- Updated the Go orchestrator to v0.19.0. (#9294) by ilyam8
- Added support for the eBPF collector in static installations (
kickstart-static64.sh). (#8879) by prologic
- Updated the eBPF kernel-collector to v0.4.0. See the changelog for details. (#9212) by Ferroin
- Added integration between
apps.plugin. (#9178) by thiagoftsm
- Converted the eBPF collector into a modular design to allow multiple eBPF programs to run in parallel. (#9148) by thiagoftsm
- Added an OSD size collection chart to the Ceph collector. (#8649) by elelayan
- Updated the eBPF kernel-collector to v0.2.0. See the changelog for details. (#9118) by prologic
system-info.shto better handle certain cases when gathering info on the system's disk capacity. (#7902) by Ferroin
- Changed the eBPF collector to install and enable it by default. (#8665) by Ferroin
- Enhanced the Samba collector to only use
sudowhen not running as the root user. (#9038) by Duffyx
- Renamed the eBPF collector from
ebpf.plugin. (#8822) by thiagoftsm
- Added more command line options to the eBPF collector to support upcoming features. (#8879) by thiagoftsm
- Added compatibility for Varnish Cache Plus in the
varnishcollector. (#8940) by pgjavier
- Added new streaming files into CMake build. (#9316) by underhood
- Added support for macOS/Homebrew in
install-required-packages.sh. (#8286) by Ferroin
- Improved reliability of checksums for
kickstart-static64.shinstallation scripts. (#9165) by prologic
- Added required bundle for libuuid on ClearLinux. (#9060) by Ferroin
- Removed conflicting EPEL packages. (#9108) by Saruspete
ncbackend to exporting. (#9030) by thiagoftsm
- Added missing checks to exporting engine. (#9034) by thiagoftsm
- Added new alarms for exporting engine resource usage and deprecation of backends. (#9075) by thiagoftsm
- Added an error report to the AWS Kinesis connector. (#9048) by thiagoftsm
- Added memory cleanup to remaining exporting connectors. (#9098) by thiagoftsm
- Added a warning if the exporting engine's update interval is not a multiple of the database's update interval. (#9131) by vlvkobal
- Added anonymous statistics to exporting engine to collect usage data. (#9125) by vlvkobal
- Improved dynamic memory cleanup for Pub/Sub exporting connector. (#9112) by vlvkobal
- Improved dynamic memory cleanup for the MongoDB exporting connector. (#9103) by vlvkobal
- Finalized the main cleanup function for the exporting engine. (#9099) by vlvkobal
- Added a function to help clean up memory on exit. (#9081) by vlvkobal
- Added a Google Cloud Pub/Sub connector to the exporting engine. (#8855) by vlvkobal
- Removed Gentoo from CI checks. (#9327) by prologic
- Added a random offset to the update script when running non-interactively. (#9245) by Ferroin
- Added a CI check for building against LibreSSL. (#9216) by prologic
- Added a health check functionality to Docker images. (#9172) by Ferroin
- Added CI for static builds of the Netdata Agent (used by
kickstart-static64.sh). (#9130) by prologic
- Removed deprecated documentation Dockerfile and associated Docker Hub image. (#9126) by prologic
- Removed deprecated documentation tooling. (#8783) by prologic
- Added a CI job to check Markdown links during PRs. (#9003) by joelhans
- Removed Polyverse Polymorphic Linux from Docker builds to reduce the image size. (#8802) by Ferroin
- Fixed a typo in the Synology installation documentation. (#9400) by pkrasam
- Added a guide for troubleshooting with eBPF metrics. (#9352) by joelhans
- Improved the FreeBSD installation documentation. (#9116) by thoggs
- Added a missing slash to the claiming documentation. (#9257) by oneoneonepig
- Changed the recommended repository for CentOS 8 users. (#9308) by Ferroin
- Added a guide for exporting metrics to Graphite. (#9285) by joelhans
- Added a link in the eBPF documentation to the kernel documentation for ftrace. (#9211) by Steve8291
- Fixed curly to straight apostrophe. (#8723) by zack-shoylev
- Added documentation and dashboard information for new eBPF-apps.plugin integration. (#9199) by thiagoftsm
- Moved and refactored docs to accomodate new Guides section on Learn. (#9266) by joelhans
- Removed outdated information/links from main README and registry doc. (#9265) by joelhans
- Added notes/known issues section to installation page. (#9053) by joelhans
- Fixed ambiguity in health reference for
foreachoptions in lookup line. (#9255) by underhood
- Added a new "home base" document for the exporting engine. (#9246) by joelhans
- Improved database engine documentation for streaming setups. (#9177) by joelhans
- Fixed typo in eBPF collector
README.md. (#9205) by Steve8291
- Fixed typo in
README.md. (#9151) by stephenrauch
- Removed the "experimental" label from the exporting engine documentation. (#9171) by vlvkobal
- Fixed typo in step 3 of step-by-step guide. (#9150) by waybeforenow
- Added a Certbot troubleshooting section to step 10 of the step-by-step guide. (#9000) by Jelmerrevers
- Updated eBPF documentation to reflect default enabled status. (#9105) by joelhans
- Added ACLK connection details. (#9047) by zack-shoylev
- Added CMake to the list of packages to install on FreeBSD installations. (#9031) by zvarnes
- Improved Synology installation document with better formatting and instructions. (#8658) by thenktor
- Updated pfSense installation document with new packages and processes. (#8544) by electropup42
- Updated documentation contributing guidelines and Netdata style guide. (#8781) by joelhans
- Added links to promote database engine calculator. (#9067) by joelhans
- Updated exporting engine documentation to prepare for enabling it by default. (#9066) by vlvkobal
- Added requirements to the ProxySQL collector documentation. (#9071) by ilyam8
- Added proc.plugin configuration example for high-processor systems. (#9062) by joelhans
- Added frontmatter for exporting connectors. (#9052) by joelhans
- Fixed grammar error in HAProxy documentation. (#8703) by cherouvim
- Updated FreeBSD package installation documentation. (#8643) by thenktor
docker runinstruction in claiming document. (#9058) by ilyam8
- Added a note about restarting a node during reclaiming. (#9049) by zack-shoylev
- Removed mentions of old Cloud and replaced them with new Cloud/dashboard. (#8874) by joelhans
- Fixed broken link in web server log guide on GitHub. (#9033) by joelhans
- Removed emoji from step-by-step guide. (#8872) by MeganBishopMoore
- Added text to claiming documentation about reclaiming. (#9027) by joelhans
- Updated daemon output with new URLs and dates. (#8965) by joelhans
netdatacachevolumes to the Docker-with-Caddy documentation. (#8999) by webash
- Fixed an incorrect file name in the Go-based web log collector. (#8964) by gruentee
- Removed incorrect
UNUSEDfrom flood protection configuration options documentation. (#8964) by mfundul
- Fixed internal links and removed obsolete admonitions. (#8946) by joelhans
- Updated docs with go-live claiming and ACLK information. (#8960) by joelhans
- Fixed a Coverity defect. (#9402) by amoss
- Fix a bug in the simple exporting connector that caused crashes when both
opentsdb:httpsand another connector were enabled together. (#9389) by vlvkobal
- Fixed missing host variables on stream. (#9396) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed race-hazard in streaming during the shutdown sequence. (#9370) by amoss
- Fixed error handling and recovery during compaction and metadata log replay. (#9354) by stelfrag
- Fixed ACLK shutdown sequence. (#9367) by underhood
- Fixed logging by replacing
assert()calls with new
fatal_assert(). (#9349) by mfundul
- Fixed issues with CentOS 6 installations by getting Netdata execution path early to avoid user permission issues. (#9339) by mfundul
- Fixed issues with ebpf.plugin and apps.plugin integration. (#9333) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed Coverity warnings in database. (#9338) by mfundul
- Fixed compiler warnings from the database when the Agent is compiled with the
--disable-cloudflag. (#9337) by stelfrag
- Fixed invalid memory access in databases to avoid Coverity errors. (#9326) by stelfrag
- Fixed broken updates to do enabling the eBPF collector by default with a dummy
--enable-ebpfflag. (#9310) by Ferroin
- Fixed exporting to Cortex by adding an additional HTTP header to the Prometheus remore write connector. (#9302) by vlvkobal
- Fixed a race hazard causing crashes in streaming configurations. (#9297) by amoss
- Fixed handling of OpenSSL on CentOS/RHEL by bundling a static copy and selecting a configuration directory at install time. (#9263) by Ferroin
- Fixed static installation from overwriting
netdata.conf. (#9174) by Ferroin
- Fixed compilation on older systems (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Debian 8, CentOS 6). (#9198) by ktsaou
- Fixed broken unit tests for the exporting engine. (#9183) by vlvkobal
- Fixed an issue with the exporting engine not cleaning a string on exit. (#9188) by vlvkobal
- Fixed issue with incremental parser breaking CMake builds. (#9186) by stelfrag
- Fixed the eBPF collector failing to install on certain systems. (#9182) by prologic
- Fixed Coverity warning. (#9180) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed required packages for Gentoo builds. (#9141) by vsc55
- Fixed Coverity warning. (#9157) by stelfrag
- Fixed broken collector plugins due to bug in parser. (#9158) by stelfrag
- Fixed the Xenstat collector to correctly track the last number of vCPUs. (#8720) by rushikeshjadhav
- Fixed incorrect link in
install-required-packages.shto help users submit a GitHub issue. (#8911) by prologic
- Fixed enable/start of
netdataservice in Debian package. (#9005) by MrFreezeex
- Fixed buffer splitting in the Kinesis exporting connector. (#9122) by vlvkobal
- Fixed suid bits on plugin for Debian packaging. (#8996) by MrFreezeex
- Fixed zombie procesess in Docker image by restoring
SIGCHLDsignal handler. (#9107) by mfundul
- Fixed static installation to not overwrite
netdata.confwhen updating. (#9046) by Ferroin
- Fixed typo in the dashboard's description of the
mem.kernelchart. (#9096) by Neamar
- Fixed incorrectly formatted TYPE lines in the Prometheus backend/exporter. (#9086) by jeffgdotorg
- Fixed error handling in the exporting connector. (#8910) by vlvkobal
- Added a missing bracket to the Netdata API swagger
.jsonfile. (#8814) by dpsy4
- Fixed the health entity calculation used for
used_ram_to_ignorein systems using ZFS. (#8913) by araemo
- Fixed incorrect hostnames in the exporting engine. (#8892) by vlvkobal
- Fixed an issue with the PostgreSQL collector to correctly ignore template1/template0 databases. (#8929) by slavaGanzin
Release v1.22.1 is a hotfix release to address issues related to packaging and how Agents connect to Netdata Cloud.
With packaging, we fixed an error that caused DEB and RPM packages to only display the old dashboard and not the new React version. We also fixed an issue that caused Netdata Docker containers to fail due to incorrect permissions. Finally, we ensured JSON-C is correctly fetched and built for compatibility with Netdata Cloud.
We appreciate our community's help in identifying and diagnosing these issues so we could fix them quickly.
For Netdata Cloud, we optimized the on-connect payload sent through the Agent-Cloud link to improve latency between Agents and Cloud. We also removed a check for old alarm status when sending alarms to Cloud via the ACLK.
Finally, we made a fix that ensures Agents running on systems using the musl C library can receive auto-updates.
- Fixed the latency issue on the ACLK and suppress the diagnostics. (#8992) by amoss and stelfrag
- Restored old semantics of "netdata -W set" command. (#8987) by mfundul
- Added JSON-C packaging fils to make dist. (#8986) by Ferroin
- Fixed bundling of React dashboard in DEB and RPM packages. (#8988) by Ferroin
- Removed check for old alarm status. (#8978) by stelfrag
- Fixed shutdown via netdatacli with musl C library. (#8931) by mfundul
Release v1.22.0 marks the official launch of our rearchitected Netdata Cloud! This Agent release contains both backend and interface changes necessary to connect your distributed nodes to this dramatically improved experience.
Netdata Cloud builds on top of our open source monitoring Agent to give you real-time visibility for your entire infrastructure. Once you've connected your Agents to Cloud, you can view key metrics, insightful charts, and active alarms from all your nodes in a single web interface. When an anomaly strikes, seamlessly navigate to any node to troubleshoot and discover the root cause with the familiar Netdata dashboard.
While Netdata Cloud offers a centralized method of monitoring your Agents, your metrics data is not stored or centralized in any way. Metrics data remains with your nodes and is only streamed to your browser through Cloud.
In addition, Cloud only expands on the functionality of the wildly popular free and open source Agent. We will never make any of our open source Agent features Cloud-exclusive, and we will actively continue to develop the Agent so that we can integrate new features with Netdata Cloud.
This release also contains 1 new collector, 1 new exporting connector, 1 new alarm notification method, 27 improvements, 16 documentation updates, and 22 bug fixes.
At a glance
We added a new collector called
whoisquery that helps you monitor a domain name's expiration date. You can track as many domains as you'd like, and set custom warning and critical thresholds for each. For more information on setup and configuration, see the Whois domain expiry monitoring documentation.
We added a new connector to our experimental exporting engine: Prometheus remote write. You can use this connector to send Netdata metrics to your choice of more than 20 external storage providers for long-term archiving and further analysis.
Our new documentation experience is now available at Netdata Learn! We encourage you to try it out and give us feedback or ask questions in our GitHub issues. Learn features documentation for both the Agent and Cloud in separate-but-connected vaults, which streamlines the experience of learning about both products.
While Learn only features documentation for now, we plan on releasing more types of educational content serving the Agent's open-source community of developers, sysadmins, and DevOps folks. We'll have more to announce soon, but in the meantime, we hope you enjoy what we believe is a smoother (and prettier) docs experience.
- amishmm for updating
- adamwolf for fixing a typo in
- lassebm for fixing a crash when shutting down an Agent with the ACLK disabled.
- yasharne for adding a new whoisquery collector and for adding health alarm templates for both the whoisquery and x509check collectors.
- illumine for adding Dynatrace as a new alarm notification method.
- slavaGanzin, carehart, Jiab77, and IceCodeNew for documentation fixes and improvements.
- The previous iteration of Netdata Cloud, accessible through various Sign in and Nodes view (beta) buttons on the Agent dashboard, is deprecated in favor of the new Cloud experience.
- Our old documentation site (
docs.netdata.cloud) was replaced with Netdata Learn. All existing backlinks redirect to the new site.
- Our localization project is no longer actively maintained. We're grateful for the hard work of its contributors.
- Enabled support for Netdata Cloud. (#8478), (#8836), (#8843), (#8838), (#8840), (#8850), (#8853), (#8866), (#8871), (#8858), (#8870), (#8904), (#8895), (#8927), (#8944) by amoss, jacekkolasa, Ferroin, prologic, mfundul, underhood, and stelfrag.
- Added TTL headers to ACLK responses. (#8760) by amoss
- Improved the thread exit fixes in #8750. (#8750) by amoss
- Added support for building libmosquitto on FreeBSD/macOS. (#8254) by Ferroin
- Improved ACLK reconnection sequence. (#8729) by stelfrag
- Improved ACLK memory management and shutdown sequence. (#8611) by stelfrag
session-idto ACLK using connect timestamp. (#8633) by amoss
- Improved the index size for the eBPF collector. (#8743) by thiagoftsm
- Added health alarm templates for the whoisquery collector. (#8700) by yasharne
- Added a whoisquery collector. go.d.plugin/#368 by yasharne
- Removed an automatic restart of
apps.plugin. (#8592) by vlvkobal
- Added missing
netdata-installer.sh. (#8897) by prologic
- Added JSON-C dependency handling to installation and packaging. (#8776) by Ferroin
- Added a check to wait for a recently-published tag to appear in Docker Hub before publishing new images. (#8713) by knatsakis
- Removed obsolete scripts from Docker images. (#8704) by knatsakis
- Removed obsolete DEVEL support from Docker images. (#8702) by knatsakis
- Improved how we publish Docker images by pushing synchronously. (#8701) by knatsakis
- Enabled internal statistics for the exporting engine in the Agent dashboard. (#8635) by vlvkobal
- Implemented a Prometheus exporter web API endpoint. (#8540) by vlvkobal
- Added a certificate revocation alarm for the x509check collector. (#8684) by yasharne
- Added the ability to send Agent alarm notifications to Dynatrace. (#8476) by illumine
document-startyamllint check. (#8522) by ilyam8
- Simplified Docker build/publish scripts to support only a single architecture. (#8747) by knatsakis
- Added Fedora 32 to build checks. (#8417) by Ferroin
- Added libffi to ArchLinux CI tests as a workaround for an upstream bug. (#8476) by Ferroin
- Updated main copyright and links for the year 2020 in daemon help output. (#8937) by zack-shoylev
[web]section and update
netdata.service.v235.into sync it with recent changes. (#8454) by amishmm
- Put old dashboard behind a prefix instead of using a script to switch. (#8754) by Ferroin
- Enabled the truthy rule in yamllint. (#8698) by ilyam8
- Added Borg backup, Squeezebox servers, Hiawatha web server, and Microsoft SQL to apps.plugin so that it can appropriately group them by type of service. (#8646), (#8655), (#8656), and (#8659) by vlvkobal
- Add custom label to collectors frontmatter to fix sidebar titles in generated docs site at
learn.netdata.cloud. (#8936) by joelhans
- Added instructions to persist metrics and restart policy in Docker installations. (#8813) by joelhans
- Fixed modifier in Nginx guide to ensure correct paths and filenames. (#8880) by slavaGanzin
- Added documentation for working around Clang build errors. (#8867) by Ferroin
- Fixed typo in Docker installation instructions. (#8861) by carehart
- Added Docker instructions to claiming docs. (#8755) by joelhans
- Capitalized title in streaming doc. (#8712) by zack-shoylev
- Updated pfSense doc and added warning for apcupsd users. (#8686) by cryptoluks
- Improved offline installation instructions to point to correct installation scripts and clarify process. (#8680) by IceCodeNew
- Added missing path to the process of editing
charts.d.conf. (#8740) by Jiab77
- Added combined claiming and ACLK documentation. (#8724) by joelhans
- Standardized how we link between various Agent-specific documentation. (#8638) by joelhans
mkdocs-materialto re-enable Netlify builds of documentation site. (#8639) by joelhans
- Updated main
README.mdwith v1.21 release news. (#8619) by joelhans
- Changed references of MacOS to macOS. (#8562) by joelhans
- Fixed kickstart error by removing old
cronsymlink. (#8849) by prologic
- Fixed bundling of old dashboard in binary packages. (#8844) by Ferroin
- Fixed typo in
netdata-installer.sh. (#8811) by adamwolf
- Fixed failure output during installations by removing old function call. (#8824) by Ferroin
bundle-dashboard.shscript to prevent broken package builds. (#8823) by prologic
- Fixed mdstat
failed devicesalarm. (#8752) by ilyam8
- Fixed rare race condition in old Cloud iframe. (#8786) by jacekkolasa
no-clear-notificationoptions from portcheck health templates. (#8748) by ilyam8
- Fixed issue in
system-info.shregarding the parsing of
lscpuoutput. (#8754) by Ferroin
- Fixed old URLs to silence Netlify's mixed content warnings. (#8759) by knatsakis
- Fixed master streaming fatal exits. (#8780) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed email authentiation to Cloud/Nodes View. (#8757) by jacekkolasa
- Fixed non-escaped characters in private registry URLs. (#8757) by jacekkolasa
- Fixed crash when shutting down an Agent with the ACLK disabled. (#8725) by lassebm
- Fixed Docker-based builder image. (#8718) by ilyam8
- Fixed status checks for UPS devices using the apcupsd collector. (#8688) by ilyam8
- Fixed the build matrix in the build and install GitHub Actions checks. (#8715) by Ferroin
- Fixed eBPF collector compatibility with the 7.x family of RedHat. (#8694) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed alarm notification script by adding a check to the Dynatrace notification method. (#8654) by ilyam8
threads_creation_ratechart context in the python.d MySQL collector. (#8636) by ilyam8
- Fixed errors shown when running
install-requred-packages.shon certain Linux systems. (#8606) by ilyam8
sudocheck in charts.d libreswan collector to prevent daily security notices. (#8569) by ilyam8
Release v1.21.1 is a hotfix release to improve the performance of the new React dashboard, which was merged and enabled by default in v1.21.0.
The React dashboard shipped in v1.21.0 did not properly freeze charts that were outside of the browser's viewport. If a user who loaded many charts by scrolling through the dashboard, charts outside of their browser's viewport continued updating. This excess of chart updates caused all charts to update more slowly than every second.
v.1.21.1 includes improvements to the way the Netdata dashboard freezes, maintains state, and restores charts as users scroll.
Release v1.21.0 contains 2 new collectors, 3 new exporting connectors, 37 bug fixes, 46 improvements, and 25 documentation updates. We also made 26 bug fixes or improvements related to the upcoming release of Netdata Cloud.
At a glance
We added a new collector for Apache Pulsar, a popular open-source distributed pub-sub messaging system. We use Pulsar in our Netdata Cloud infrastructure (more on that later this month!), and are excited to start sharing metrics about our own Pulsar systems when the time comes. The Pulsar collector attempts to auto-detect any running Pulsar processes, but you can always configure the collector based on your setup.
Also new in v1.21 is a VerneMQ collector. We use the open-source MQ Telemetry Transport (MQTT) broker for Netdata Cloud as well. As with Pulsar, you can configure the VerneMQ collector to auto-detect your installation in just a few steps.
Our experimental exporting engine received significant updates with new connectors for Prometheus remote write, MongoDB, and AWS Kinesis Data Streams. You can now send Netdata metrics to more than 20 additional external storage providers for long-term archiving and deeper analysis. Learn more about the exporting engine in our documentation.
We upgraded our TLS compatibility to include 1.3, which applies to HTTPS for both Netdata's web server and streaming connections. TLS 1.3 is the most up-to-date version of the TLS protocol, and contains important fixes and improvements to ensure strong encryption. If you enabled TLS in the web server or streaming, Netdata attempts to use 1.3 by default, but you can also set the version and ciphers explicitly. Learn more in the documentation.
The Netdata dashboard has been completely re-written in React. While the look and behavior hasn't changed, these under-the-hood changes enable a suite of new features, UX improvements, and design overhauls. With React, we'll be able to work faster and better resource our talented engineers.
As part of the ongoing work to polish our eBPF collector tech preview, we've now proven the collector's performance is very good, and have vastly expanded the number of operating system versions the collector works on. Learn how to enable it in our documentation. We've also extensively stress-tested the eBPF collector and found that it's impressively fast given the depth of metrics it collects! Read up on our benchmarking analysis on GitHub.
- Jiab77 for helping remove extra printed
\nin various installation methods.
- SamK for fixing missing folders in
/var/for .deb installations.
- kevenwyld for improving Netdata's support of RHEL distributions.
- WoozyMasta for adding in the ability to get Kubernetes pod names with
kubectlin bare-metal deployments.
- paulmezz for adding the ability to to connect to non-admin user IDs when trying to collect metrics from a Ceph storage cluster.
- ManuelPombo for adding additional charts to our Postgres collector, and anayrat for helping review the changes.
- Default for adding lsyncd to the backup group in
- bceylan, peroxy, toadjaune, grinapo, m-rey, and YorikSar for documentation fixes.
- Extended TLS support for 1.3. (#8505) by thiagoftsm
- Switched to the React dashboard code as the default dashboard. (#8363) by Ferroin
- Added a new Pulsar collector. (#8364) by ilyam8
- Added a new VerneMQ collector. (#8236) by ilyam8
- Added high precision timer support for plugins such as
idlejitter. (#8441) by mfundul
- Added an alarm to the
dns_querycollector that detects DNS query failure. (#8434) by ilyam8
- Added the ability to get the pod name from cgroup with
kubectlin bare-metal deployments. (#7416) by WoozyMasta
- Added the ability to connect to non-admin user IDs for a Ceph storage cluster. (#8276) by paulmezz
- Added connections (backend) usage to Postgres monitoring. (#8126) by ManuelPombo
- eBPF: Added support for additional Linux kernels found in Debian 10.2 and Ubuntu 18.04. (#8192) by thiagoftsm
- Added missing override for Ubuntu Eoan. (#8547) by prologic
- Added Docker build arguments to pass extra options to Netdata installer. (#8472) by Ferroin
- Added deferred error message handling to the installer. (#8381) by Ferroin
- Fixed cosmetic error checking for CentOS 8 version in
install-required-packages.sh. (#8339) by prologic
- Added various fixes and improvements to the installers. (#8315) by Ferroin
- Migrated to installing only Python 3 packages during installation. (#8318) by Ferroin
- Improved support for RHEL by not installing the CUPS plugin when v1.7 of CUPS cannot be installed. (#7216) by kevenwyld
- Added support for Clear Linux in
install-required-packages.sh. (#8154) by Ferroin
- Removed Fedora 29 from CI and packaging. (#8100) by Ferroin
- Removed Ubuntu 19.04 from CI and packaging. (#8040) by Ferroin
- Removed OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 from CI. (#7990) by Ferroin
- Added a MongoDB connector to the exporting engine. (#8416) by vlvkobal
- Added a Prometheus Remote Write connector to the exporting engine. (#8292) by vlvkobal
- Added an AWS Kinesis connector to the exporting engine. (#8145) by vlvkobal
- Fixed typo in main
README.md. (#8547) by bceylan
- Updated the update instructions with per-method details. (#8394) by joelhans
- Updated paragraph on
install-required-packages.sh. (#8347) by prologic
- Added Patti's dashboard video to the documentation. (#8385) by joelhans
- Fixed go.d modules in the
COLLECTORS.md. (#8380) by ilyam8
- Added frontmatter to all documentation in bulk. (#8354) and (#8372) by joelhans
- Fixed MDX parsing in installation guide. (#8362) by joelhans
- Fixed typo in eBPF documentation. (#8360) by ilyam8
- Fixed links in packaging/installer to work on GitHub and docs. (#8319) by joelhans
- Fixed typo in main
README.md. (#8335) by peroxy
- Removed mention saying that .deb packages are experimental. (#8250) by toadjaune
- Added standards for abbreviations/acronyms to docs style guide. (#8313) by joelhans
- Tweaked eBPF documentation, and added performance data. (#8261) by joelhans
- Added requirements for the exim collector. (#8096) by petarkozic
- Fixed misspelling of openSUSE and SUSE. (#8233) by m-rey
- Added OpenGraph tags to documentation pages. (#8224) by joelhans
- Fixed typo in custom dashboard documentation. (#8213) by shortpatti
- Removed extra asterisks in main README. (#8193) by grinapo
- Added eBPF README to documentation navigation and improved page title. (#8191) by joelhans
- Fixed figure+image without closing tag in new documentation. (#8177) by joelhans
- Corrected instructions for running Netdata behind Apache. (#8169) by cakrit
- Added PR title guidelines to the contribution guidelines to make
CHANGELOG.mdmore meaningful. (#8150) by cakrit
- Fixed formatting in Custom dashboards documentation. (#8102) by YorikSar
- Updated the manual install documentation with better information about CentOS 6. (#8088) by Ferroin
- Added tutorials to support v1.20 release (#7943) by joelhans
- Added logic to bail early on LWS build if cmake is not present. (#8559) by Ferroin
python.dconfiguration files to YAML linting CI process and increase line limit to 120 characters. (#8541) and (#8542) by ilyam8
- Cleaned up GitHub Actions workflows. (#8383) by Ferroin
- Migrated tests from Travis CI to Github Workflows. (#8331) by prologic
install-required-packages.shwith Coverity scan. (#8388) by prologic
- Added support for cross-host docker-compose builds. (#7754) by amoss
- Reconfigured Travis CI to retry transient failures on lifecycle tests. (#8203) by prologic
- Switched to checkout@v2 in GitHub Actions. (#8170) by ilyam8
- Fixed compiler warnings in the claiming code. (#8567) by vlvkobal
- Fixed regressions in cloud functionality (build, CI, claiming). (#8568) by underhood
- Switched over to soft feature flag. (#8545) by amoss
- Improved claiming behavior to run as
netdatauser by default, or override if necessary. (#8516) by amoss
- Updated the
infoendpoint for Cloud notifications. (#8519) by amoss
- Added correct error logging for ACLK challenge/response. (#8538) by stelfrag
- Cleaned up Cloud configuration files to move
[cloud]. (#8501) by underhood
- Enhanced ACLK header payload to include
timestamp-offset-usec. (#8499) by stelfrag
- Added ACLK build failures to anonymous statistics. (#8429) by underhood
- Added ACLK connection failures to anonymous statistics. (#8456) by underhood
- Added HTTP proxy support to ACLK. (#8406)/(#8418) by underhood
- Improved ownership of the
claim.ddirectory. (#8475) by amoss
- Fixed the ACLK response payload to match the new specification. (#8420) by stelfrag
- Added the new cloud info in the info endpoint. (#8430) by amoss
- Implemented ACLK Last Will and Testament. (#8410) by stelfrag
- Fixed JSON parsing in ACLK. (#8426) by stelfrag
- Fixed outstanding problems in claiming and add SOCKS5 support. (#8406)/(#8404) by amoss and underhood
- Fixed the type value for alarm updates in the ACLK. (#8403) by stelfrag
- Improved performance of ACLK. (#8399)/(#8401) by amoss
- Improved the ACLK's agent "pop-corning" phase. (#8398) by stelfrag
- Improved ACLK according to results of the smoke-test. (#8358) by amoss and underhood
- Added code to bundle LWS in binary packages. (#8255) by Ferroin
- Added libwebsockets files to
make dist. (#8275) by Ferroin
- Adapted the claiming script to new API responses. (#8245) by hmoragrega
- Fixed claiming script to reflect Netdata Cloud API changes. (#8220) by cosmix
- Added libwebsockets bundling code to
netdata-installer.sh. (#8144) by Ferroin
- Removed notifications from the dashboard and fixed the
/default.htmlroute. (#8599 by jacekkolasa
help-tooltipsstyling, private registry node deletion, and the right-hand sidebar "jumping" on document clicks. (#8553 by jacekkolasa
- Fixed errors reported by Coverity. (#8593) by thiagoftsm, (#8579) by amoss, and (#8586) by thiagoftsm
system/netdata.service.v235file. (#8556) by vlvkobal
- Fixed Debian 8 (Jessie) support. (#8590) and (#8593) by prologic
- Fixed broken Fedora 30/31 RPM builds. (#8572) by prologic
- Fixed broken pipe ignoring in
apps.plugin. (#8554) by vlvkobal
- Fixed the
bytespersecchart context in the Python Apache collector. (#8550) by ilyam8
charts.d.pluginto exit properly during Netdata service restart. (#8529) by ilyam8
- Fixed minimist dependency vulnerability. (#8537) by jacekkolasa
- Fixed our Debian/Ubuntu packages to package the expected systemd unit files. (#8468) by prologic
- Fixed auto-updates for static (
kickstart-static64.sh) installs. (#8507) by prologic
- Fixed openSUSE 15.1 RPM package builds. (#8494) by prologic
- Fixed how SimpleService truncates Python module names. (#8492) by ilyam8
- Removed erroneous
\nin uninstaller output. (#8446) by prologic
install-required-packagesscript to self-update
apt. (#8491) by prologic
- Added proper prefix to Python module names during loading. (#8474) by ilyam8
- Fixed how the Netdata updater script cleans up after being run. (#8414) by prologic
- Fixed the flushing error threshold with the database engine. (#8425) by mfundul
- Fixed memory leak for host labels streaming from slaves to master. (#8460) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed support for uninstalling the eBPF collector in the uninstaller. (#8444) by prologic
- Fixed a bug involving
stop_all_netdata uv_pipe_connect()in the installer. (#8444) by prologic
- Fixed installer output regarding newlines. (#8447) by prologic
- Fixed broken dependencies for Ubuntu 19.10. (#8397) by prologic
- Fixed streaming scaling. (#8375) by mfundul
- Fixed missing characters in kernel version field by encoding slave fields. (#8216) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed installation for Ubuntu 14.04 (#7690) by Ehekatl
- Fixed dependencies for Debian Jessie. (#8290) by Ferroin
- Fixed dependency names for Arch Linux. (#8334) by Ferroin
- Removed extra printed
\nin various installers. (#8324)/(#8325)/(#8326) by Jiab77
- Fixed missing folders in
/var/for .deb packages. (#8314) by SamK
- Fixed Ceph collector to get
osd_perf_infosin versions 14.2 and higher. (#8248) by ilyam8
- Fixed RHEL / CentOS 8.x dependencies for Judy-devel and others.(#8202) by prologic
- Removed extraneous commas from chart information in dashboard. (#8266) by FlyingSixtySix
tmemcollection from xenstat_plugin to allow Netdata on Xen 4.13 to compile successfully. (#7951) by rushikeshjadhav
get_latest_versionfor nightly channel update script. (#8172) by ilyam8
- Restricted messages to Google Analytics. (#8161) by thiagoftsm
- Fixed Python 3 dict access in OpenLDAP collector module. (#8162) by Mic92