- Many improvements to the trafgen protocol generation functions, e.g. the ability to increment/randomize protocol fields at runtime using dinc()/rnd(), new functions to generate IPv6, ICMPv4/v6, PFC, and IEEE 802.3X PAUSE headers. From Vadim Kochan and Tobias Klauser.
- flowtop UI improvements. From Vadim Kochan.
- Packet counting fixes, e.g. to not account for duplicate packets received over the loopüback interface. From Paolo Abeni.
- Allow IPv6 ranges to be specified for source and dest addresses in mausezahn. From Tommy Beadle.
- Build system improvements, allowing to specify more options to the configure script. See './configure --help' for details. From Vadim Kochan and Tobias Klauser.
- Various compilation fixes, e.g. for warnings or build failure certain systems. From Yousong Zhou and arch3y.
- Various documentation improvements and fixes. From Vadim Kochan, Hisao Tanabe, and Tobias Klauser.
- Newly added trafgen configuration language which allows to specify the packets in a more convenient format. See trafgen(8) for more details on the supported protocols and keywords. Contributed by Vadim Kochan.
- Additional runtime commands for flowtop which allow to toggle/filter display of flows. From Vadim Kochan.
- Command line options to pass macro definitions to trafgen and bpfc. From Vadim Kochan.
- Made the build of all netsniff-ng tools reproducible (stable link order). From Reiner Herrmann.
- Fix download of GeoIP databases so the files don't get corrupted. From Tobias Klauser.
- New features and fixes in flowtop: Display flow rates, options to disable DNS and GeoIP lookup, stability improvements, and bug fixes. From Vadim Kochan.
- Support for Linux "cooked" header for netlink interface in netsniff-ng. From Vadim Kochan and Daniel Borkmann.
- Extended the netlink message dissector to display a lot of additional information. From Vadim Kochan.
- Helper functions for TCP/UDP checksums in IPv6 trafgen packets and performance improvement in trafgen when using checksums without dynamic data. From Tobias Klauser.
- Various fixes, improvements, cleanups and documentation updates. From Vadim Kochan, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Martin Hauke, Kartik Mistry, Daniel Borkmann and Tobias Klauser.
- Build system rework to support cross-compiling. From Tobias Klauser.
- Support pcap file rotation on SIGHUP (issue #140). From Tobias Klauser.
- Dissector improvements for the netlink message and the mac80211 dissectors. From Vadim Kochan.
- Various bug fixes, improvements and documentation updates to make netsniff-ng ready for release. From Daniel Borkmann, Vadim Kochan and Tobias Klauser.
- Packet fanout support for netsniff-ng. From Michał Purzyński.
- Several improvements when using netsniff-ng on wireless interfaces. From Vadim Kochan.
- Allow to filter traffic from an input pcap to an output pcap using netsniff-ng. From Vadim Kochan.
- Bug fixes, performance improvements and general fixes all over the place. From Daniel Borkmann, Eric Dumazet, Vadim Kochan, Mark Latimer, Tillmann Karras, wilson, and Tobias Klauser.
- Restore tpacket v2 capturing functionality. Thanks to Mike Reeves for his help with testing these changes. By Tobias Klauser.
- Add option --no-sock-mem to trafgen to disable adjusting socket memory (analogous to the iexisting netsniff-ng option of the same name). By Jesper Dangaard Brouer.
- Check for correct linktype in netlink dissector. By Daniel Borkmann.
- Add build flag for sparse static checking and fix some of the reported warnings. By Tobias Klauser.
- Add additional mausezahn configuration file directives (port, listen-addr) and document the existing ones (see mausezahn.8 for details). From Jon Schipp.
- Allow mausezahn to bind to an IP address using the -l command line option, from Jon Schipp.
- Install mausezahn configuration file to /etc/netsniff-ng/mausezahn.conf instead of /etc/mausezahn/mz.conf. From Jon Schipp.
- Add the --no-hwtimestamp/-N command line option to netsniff-ng, allowing to disable hardware time stamping (as it might lead to skewed timestamps in recorded PCAPs, see #129). From Tobias Klauser.
- Add a rudimenatry netlink message dissector to netsniff-ng, from Tobias Klauser.
- Use printf/scanf format specifiers for fixed width types (fixing a crash of ifpps in 32 bit environments), from James McCoy.
- Fix integer overflow related to ring size, thus now actually allowing to use ring sizes larger than 4 GiB. However, ther still exist some problems with larger ring sizes, see issue #128. By Tobias Klauser, with help from Michał Purzyński and Jon Schipp.
- Fix the build system to install configuration files to /etc instead of /usr/local/etc, by Kartik Mistry.
- Smaller default initial ring buffer size in trafgen to reduce cache misses. From Daniel Borkmann and Jesper Dangaard Brouer.
- Bugfix in ifpps to always match the correct interface/device. From Jesper Dangaard Brouer.
- Fixes all over the place to make netsniff-ng build against the musl libc. Contributed by Christian Wiese.
- Build system improvements. From Christian Wiese, Daniel Borkmann, Jesper Dangaard Brouer and Tobias Klauser.
- Proper handling of all termination signals in all tools. From Tobias Klauser.
- Various documentation updates. From Daniel Borkmann, Kartik Mistry, Christian Wiese and Tobias Klauser.