You're very welcome to open an issue for bugs you found, improvements or new ideas :)
Got YouTube or Vimeo playlists with way too many songs and a thirst for exploring something new? With newsic you can listen to small 30-second song snippets (or the whole song) and discover other playlists easily.
Project page & demo
How newsic looks like
Starting with version 0.3 newsic offers support for caching, compressing and minifying - based on Flask Caching, Flask-Compress and htmlmin. The packages are installable with
pip install -r requirements-performance.txt. See config.py.example for all available options and module documentation.
.flaskenv newsic supports python-dotenv. Installable with
pip install -r requirements-env.txt or, more directly:
pip install python-dotenv.
- Clone this repository:
git clone https://github.com/newsic/newsic.git
- Go to newsic/newsic and create a config.py from config.py.example
- Add your API keys (YouTube, Vimeo) to config.py
- Install the minimal requirements with
pip install -r requirements.txt; you might want to use a virtual environment
- Set newsic as Flask app with
export FLASK_APP=newsicand start it with
flask run. The script is now running at 127.0.0.1:5000
For running newsic on your server (or a shared hosting provider) you would like to use a deployment script. There are many different options for running Flask on a server.
|Shortcut||What it does|
||Play complete song|
||Start mix based on current song|
||Search for lyrics on Genius|
||Focus search field|
For more details see LICENSE.
Dependencies and credits
- Flask: Armin Ronacher (@mitsuhiko) and contributors, BSD License (3-clause)
- Flask-Babel: Python-Babel team (https://github.com/python-babel), BSD License (3-clause)
- Plyr: Sam Potts (@sampotts), MIT License
- PyVimeo: Vimeo (@vimeo), Apache License 2.0
- Flask Caching: Peter Justin (@sh4nks), BSD License (3-clause)
- Flask-Compress: William Fagan (@libwilliam), MIT License
- htmlmin: Dave Mankoff (@mankyd)
- python-dotenv: Saurabh Kumar (@theskumar), BSD License (3-clause)
If you think newsic is worth a small donation: Thank you very much :) Let me be clear that earning money wasn't the motivation behind all this. I'll appreciate your code contributions, pull requests or bug reports just equally :)