NextDNS CLI is a DNS53 to DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) proxy with advanced capabilities to get the most out of the NextDNS service. Although the most advanced features will only work with NextDNS, this program can work as a client for any DoH provider or a mix of NextDNS + another DNS (split horizon).
The CLI is mostly aimed at routers and UNIX based systems, but it is also a great client for windows and macOS for people who prefer a fully open-source clients and don't mind the lack of GUI.
You will need a NextDNS configuration ID to complete the installation.
On most platforms, the following command is enough to install NextDNS CLI:
sh -c 'sh -c "$(curl -sL https://nextdns.io/install)"'
Please see below for more detailed instructions for your platform.
In case of installation issue, please search our issue tracker for an existing solution, or please report your problem otherwise.
- Stub DNS53 to DoH proxy.
- Auto discovery and forwarding of LAN client's name and model.
- Supports a vast number of platforms / OS / routers.
- Can run on single host or at router level.
- Local cache
- Auto router setup (integrate with many different router firmware).
- Serve from /etc/hosts.
- Multi upstream healthcheck / fallback.
- Conditional forwarder selection based on domain.
- Conditional NextDNS configuration ID selection based on client subnet prefix or MAC address.
- Auto detection of captive portals.