- Uses a modified version of node-irc, shimmed out for fxos. Need to fix this up and contribute back upstream.
- API for node-irc
- Uses brick
- my node-irc has a bunch of logging statements commented out, comment these back in for help debugging
- this is a packaged app. refreshing a packaged app is broken. What I have to do is, quit the simulator (leave dashboard open), Refresh, Connect, Refresh
Running in Desktop Firefox
- Turn on mozTCPSocket pref
- Add tcp-socket permission for a domain
- Hosting it locally
Idea from @asutherland
1. Turn on mozTCPSocket pref
- Open "about:config" in the browser.
- Right-click anywhere in the config setting listing, and choose "New", "Boolean" from the context menu.
- Enter "dom.mozTCPSocket.enabled" in the "Enter the preference name" box and click the "OK" button.
- Select "true" on the next dialog box and click the "OK" button.
Add tcp-socket permission for a domain (locally)
So you could run this from github pages, or from your local machine. Hosting it locally is a better idea, because theoritically Github could serve you different assets that abuse the ability to create TCP sockets. Far-fetched but possible.
I'd recommend (this part optional, but recommended) that you add a domain to
your hosts file that redirects back to your machine, that way you're not
allowing any site on localhost to use TCP sockets. I added the following to
the bottom of my
For whichever method you choose (locally or gh-pages), you need to add a permission for it. If you are hosting it locally, you would:
Bring up the error console in firefox by hitting control-shift-J. Paste the code into the "Code" box and click the "evaluate" button.
host = 'http://firesea.mozilla.org:8000'; perm = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/permissionmanager;1"] .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIPermissionManager); ios = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/network/io-service;1"] .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIIOService); uri = ios.newURI(host, null, null); perm.add(uri, 'tcp-socket', 1);
This will allow
http://firesea.mozilla.org:8000 permission to create and use
TCP sockets. Tailor as needed.
XXX: TODO find out how to remove permission since it's not in about:permissions
I serve this locally with the command
python -m SimpleHTTPServer. I should
host the assets somewhere so you don't have to host them yourself, and create
an add-on to add the pref and permission, but I haven't yet. I don't know
when TCPSockets will land in desktop FF pref'd off.
Once serving, go to
http://firesea.mozilla.org:8000 and enjoy.