SatSale is a simple, easily deployable, lightweight Bitcoin payment processor that connects to your own Bitcoin node or Lightning network node.
|Donation Button ----->||Bitcoin Payment Gateway|
(Click for embed demo)
Initiates payment ----->
(Click for WordPress payments demo)
SatSale currently serves as
- Donation button for your website that you can easily embed/link to anywhere.
- A Bitcoin payment gateway, including a Woocommerce plugin that easily turns ANY Wordpress site into a Bitcoin accepting store.
SatSale makes donation buttons simple - easy copy paste the one line HTML iframe into your site. With a simple Python backend to talk to your own Bitcoin node, SatSale uses RPC to generate new addresses, and monitors the payment status with your own copy of the blockchain.
- Process payments with your own Bitcoin node via RPC and SSH. Bitcoin core, or any other node software that supports RPC calls.
- Direct peer-to-peer payments without any middleman. No KYC, and greater privacy than donation systems wher Bitcoin addresses are reused multiple times.
- Lightweight and highly extendable, basic html and css stying. Modular Python backend, take a look at the code or lnd.py!
- Natively extendable to all bitcoind node features (e.g. segwit) through RPC.
- QR codes, customizable required payment confirmations and payment expiry time.
- No shitcoin bloat. Bitcoin only.
You require a Raspberry Pi / server (VPS) to host an instance of SatSale on, and a connection to a Bitcoin node. If you don't have a Bitcoin node, you should install one.
Clone and install dependencies
git clone https://github.com/nickfarrow/SatSale cd SatSale/ pip3 install -r requirements.txt
Connect to your Bitcoin Node
config.py configuration and point to your Bitcoin node:
host = "127.0.0.1" rpcport = "8332" username = "bitcoinrpc" password = "RPCPASSWORD"
(You can find these in
~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf). Example configs, for enabling lightning or hosting SatSale on a remote machine can be found in docs/. If you want to use lightning network payments, see Lightning instructions].
Run SatSale with
gunicorn -w 1 -b 0.0.0.0:8000 satsale:app
Gunicorn is a lightweight python HTTP server, alternatively you can run with just
python satsale.py though this is not recommended for production.
That's it! You should now be able to view your SatSale server at
http://YOUR_SERVER_IP:8000/. If running locally, this will be
If running on a Raspberry Pi, you will want to forward port 8000 in your router settings so that SatSale is also visible at your external IP address. You might have to allow gunicorn through your firewall with
sudo ufw allow 8000.
You will want to run gunicorn with nohup so it continues serving in the background:
nohup gunicorn -w 1 0.0.0.0:8000 satsale:app > log.txt 2>&1 & tail -f log.txt
Embed a Donation Button
Now embed the donation button into your website HTML:
<iframe src="http://YOUR_SERVER_IP:8000/" style="margin: 0 auto;display:block;width:420px;height:460px;border:none;overflow:hidden;" scrolling="no"></iframe>
YOUR_SERVER_IP to the IP address of the machine you're running SatSale on, node or otherwise. Additionally, you could redirect a domain to that IP and use that instead.
Using HTTPS & Domains
Embedded iframes are easy if your site only uses HTTP. But if your site uses HTTPS, then you can see your donation button at
http://YOUR_SERVER_IP:8000/ but will not be able to in an embedded iframe. See HTTPS instructions.
For maximum security, we recommend hosting on a machine where your node only has access to a watch-only wallet.
Payment Gateway (Woocommerce)
Currently we have a plugin for Woocommerce in Wordpress that makes Bitcoin webstores extremely easy, please click here for installation instructions. SatSale acts as a custom payment gateway for Woocommerce via the php plugin found in
/gateways. We have plans to extend to other web stores in the future.
You only need a little python!
The main code can be found in satsale.py. The client-side logic for the donation button sits in static/server_connection.js, invoice structure and bitcoind interface in invoice/, button appearance in templates/index.html, and Woocommerce plugin in gateways/woo_satsale.php. Please have ago at implementing some of the things below!
- Better UI with more variety of size and theme.
- Add a currency toggle between BTC/USD on donation html.
- Handle unconfirmed payments. What is the best course of action?
- More readily customisable donation button (text/color/QR code)
- Database integration for payment invoices
- Variety or easily customisable price feeds
SatSale is in very early development. As such, we are not responsible for any loss of funds, vulnerabilities with software, or any other grievances which may arise. Always confirm large payments manually.
Please consider supporting me via my own instance of SatSale :). Corporate/whale support would greatly assist my ability to give 100% of my attention to SatSale and other Bitcoin projects, please email