Glances -- Eye on your system
Glances is a CLI curses based monitoring tools for both GNU/Linux and BSD.
Glances uses the libstatgrab library to get informations from your system. Glances is developped in Python and uses the python-statgrab lib.
Glances use a standard GNU style installer:
$ tar zxvf glances-v1.0.tar.gz $ cd glances $ ./configure $ make $ sudo make install
- Python 2.6+ (not tested with Python 3)
- python-statgrab 0.5+ (did not work with python-statgrab 0.5)
Notes: The Debian Squeeze repos only include the python-statgrab 0.4. You had to install the version 0.5 using the following commands:
$ sudo apt-get install libstatgrab-dev $ wget http://ftp.uk.i-scream.org/sites/ftp.i-scream.org/pub/i-scream/pystatgrab/pystatgrab-0.5.tar.gz $ tar zxvf pystatgrab-0.5.tar.gz $ cd pystatgrab-0.5/ $ ./setup.py build $ sudo ./setup.py install
By default, stats are refrsh every second, to change this setting, you can use the -t option. For exemple to set the refrech rate to 5 seconds:
$ glances.py -t 5
Importants stats are colored:
- GREEN: stat counter is < 50%
- BLUE: stat counter is > 50% and < 70%
- MAGENTA: stat counter is > 70% and < 90%
- RED: stat counter is > 90%
When Glances is running, you can press:
'a' to set the automatic mode. The process list is sorted automatically
If CPU > 70%, sort by process CPU consomption
If MEM > 70%, sort by process size
'c' the processes list is sorted by CPU consomption
- 'm' the processes list is sorted by process size
- 'q' Exit
The current version of the python-statgrab API can not retrieve the file system statistics. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libstatgrab/+bug/886783
You are welcome to contribute to this software.
- Packaging for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, BSD...
- Check the needed Python library in the configure.ac
- Add file system stats when the python-statgrab is corrected
- Add a user guide window