WP Wiki Tooltip
Tags: wiki, wikipedia, mediawiki, tooltip, tooltipster, shortcode
Requires at least: 3.0
Tested up to: 5.5.3
Stable tag: 1.10.0
Donate link: https://n1da.net/specials/wp-wiki-tooltip/spenden/
License: GPLv2 or later
Adds explaining tooltips querying their content from a MediaWiki installation, e.g. Wikipedia.org.
Adds explaining tooltips querying their content from a MediaWiki installation, e.g. Wikipedia.org. Therefore shortcodes can be used in Posts and Pages to mark keywords and link them to public Wiki pages. The well-known package of Tooltipster is used to create the nice and themable tooltips.
Main features of the current version are:
- Setup at least one wanted Wiki base and several other options at a backend page
- Integrate the Wiki tooltip using shortcodes in Posts and Pages
- Shortcodes can be created by a TinyMCE plugin - within Gutenberg's Classic-Block, too
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use any Wiki installation as base for my tooltips?
Sure, as long as the used installation provides an API structured like the API of MediaWiki it will work perfectly. You can use one of the public Wikipedias or setup your own Wiki URL.
Can I use several Wikis at the same time within my WordPress?
Since version 1.4.0 the plugin provides the opportunity to manage multiple Wiki URLs! The wanted Wiki can be chosen via an attribute in the shortcode.
Am I able to style the links to Wiki pages in another way than all other links in the blog?
Yes, you can define extra CSS style properties that are used at all links to Wiki pages!
Can I disable tooltips for mobile access?
Since version 1.7.0 you can define a minimum screen width that is necessary to show the tooltips!
Can I use the content of a certain section instead the complete Wiki page?
Since version 1.9.0 you can request a section by its title (anchor) using an extra attribute of the shortcode (
- Find Wiki tooltip plugin in the "Add Plugins" page within your WordPress installation or Upload the Wiki tooltip plugin to your blog,
- Activate it,
- Create at least one Wiki base and review the global options on the settings page
- Add some shortcodes to your Posts and Pages, and
- See nice and helpful tooltips where ever you like
- Wiki-Tooltips Settings - Base Settings (top): manage several Wiki URLs
- Wiki-Tooltips Settings - Base Settings (bottom): set some options how to show tooltips
- Wiki-Tooltips Settings - Error Handling: set some Error Handling options
- Wiki-Tooltips Settings - Designs: set designs, stylings, and animations of tooltips
- Wiki-Tooltips Settings - Thumbnails: enable and style thumbnails
- Integrate the plugin by shortcodes in Posts and Pages
- Use the TinyMCE plugin to get help by a popup form - also available in the Gutenberg's Classic Block
- See nice and helpful tooltips
The last three major releases are listed here, only. Find complete log of all changes in the extra changelog file!
Release Date - December 5th, 2020
- the backend page is splitted into several tabs to have more space for some new settings in the future
- the used Tooltipster plugin is updated to its version 4.2.8
- some improvements for binding external resources
Release Date - January 1st, 2019
- sections of Wiki pages can be used for tooltips, now (use shortcode attribute
- the used Tooltipster plugin is updated to its version 4.2.6
- a new option is available to set the animation how the tooltip appears
Release Date - February 23rd, 2018
- if tooltip trigger 'hover' is selected you can set explicitly how the link has to work
- special options for handling errors are available
- a new version of Tooltipster plugin was released that leads to some programmatic and design changes
- a preview for every tooltip designs is available at options page now
You should review the settings page after every update
Upgrade to 1.10.0
Due to the introduction of the tabbed settings page you have to review all settings after update!
Upgrade to 1.4.0
The former Wiki URL is not transferred into this version. Review the settings page after update to insert the wanted Wiki URL again!
Nothing special to consider.