Online Dictionary Helper (with Anki app support)
Online Dictionary Helper is a chrome extension to show online dictionary content, which also supports flash-card making compatible with Anki (with ankiconnect, an Anki add-on, installed).
For the reason why comes this extension, you may check the detail background if you are interested.
What might set this extension apart is that the users can grab online dictionary content with their own customized script (running under extension development mode). For development detail, please check the development guide
How to use
- Install the extension first from Chrome Web store or Firefox Addons page. Setup Option and turn on the extension if you want. (Details could be found under the option page section)
- Open any given web page, move mouse cursor to the word.
- Click-drag/Double click to select word, or press Hotkey(defined in options page) to automatically select word in case it's a link.
- A popup window will show up displaying the word definition.
- (Optional) Setup the designated Anki deck, type and fields names to put your word, definition, sentence while Anki and ankiconnect is running.
- (Optional) Press top/right green (+) icon in popup window to add Anki note.
The Option Page
The extension option page is divided in three sections.
General Option: Turn on or turn off the extension if you want.
Anki Options: Setup Anki deck/type name, and which fields you are going to put word, reading, extrainfo, definiton, sentence.
- Dictioanry Scrip: Input your own script name here, and click Load Script button to load it.
- Selected Dictionary: Here will display all available dictionaries (buildin or loaded), and please select what current dictionary you want to use.
The source code on github does not contain offline dictionary and English word deformation table data. You can go to the chrome store to download, or use the chrome extension downloader to download the plugin's crx file and extract the dictionary JSON file.
Use existing script or develop by yourself
- You can use exsiting dictionary scripts in the dictionaries list
- Or develop the script by yourself based on development guide
- Or raise an issue here if you really need help.
Welcome pull request if you want to enhance this extension, or put your own script in next release.