cl-3d (Rendering X3D in Common Lisp)
- This work is ongoing and not yet ready for production. My goal is to develop a scenegraph in common-lisp based on the X3D specification. Currently I autogenerate an X3D (XML) parser from one of my other projects called cl-3d-creator.
- The autogenerator simply reads X3D’s schema definitions and generates a parser based on XMlisp to read XML directly into lisp objects. The idea is to autogenerate as much as the boiler plate code as possible and fill in the rest of the stuff manually.
- Ideally I would like to keep the manual code as minimal and as organized as possible in order to enable me to make sweeping designing changes if needed. However the first priority is to get things working and worry about organization at a later stage.
- My plan for now is to execute the project in two phases i.e create first optimize second. Phase II (optimization) starts midway of Phase I (creation) and we will slowly and smoothly transistion to more optimized implementation.
Phase I (Create)
All boiler plate code should be generated. Use opengl 1.1 or whatever is fastest to just make things work. This from a user perspective should be reasonably complete with basic rendering and interaction facilities working (non optimized).
This will be test driven development and the goal will be make the tests work. Our tests are basically X3D scripts taken from the following site.
[*] 1. Basic
[x] make XMLisp accessable with asdf
[x] Parse X3d using xmlisp
[x] Implement run method and basic windowing
[x] Implement GLUT windowing mechanism as scene
[x] Add NOTICE.txt
[x] Implement NavigationInfo
[_] Try using the x3dForWebAuthors examples as-is
- The examples are in X3D.
- Figure out a way to directly load XML files.
- This will bring down the development time since we will have all the examples already present and will help getting rid of the boilerplate code in examples.