Drupal Composer project template
##Introduction This is an example project demonstrating how to manage core, contrib modules, custom modules, features, cusotm install profiles and custom themes with Composer. For more information see here: http://neilcameron.me/#!/blog/post/18
##Initial install All dependencies are managed via Composer. To get your drupal instance, you need to install via composer:
- Install composer locally. See here.
- Install drupal as you normally would.
##How modules and dependencies are managed
- Contrib modules (e.g. Views, Ctools) are managed as composer dependencies, these are pulled in when the application is installed.
- Third party libraries (e.g. CKEditor) are also composer dependencies.
- Custom modules, themes, features and profiles are version controlled and located in the webroot.
Note: although it is recommended that dependencies should not be committed to the repo, there is currently no elegant way to pull in custom modules other than storing them in their own repository, which would lead to unwanted complexity. However, [Pantheon reccomend](https://github.com/pantheon-systems/example-drupal7-travis-composer/tree/master#re pository-management) commiting custom modules in there place and ignoring everything else. This provides a relatively elegant solution where all code is managed in a single repo repository with all external dependencies managed via composer.
The code and repository are managed with a combination of the
.gitignore file and the Composer preserve paths plugin.
##How to add new contrib modules
To add a new contrib module to the project just run
composer require ... e.g.
composer require drupal/ctools:7.*. This must be run from the root of the project (not the docroot). If you are unsure of the package name, check it on https://packagist.drupal-composer.org.
##How to add new custom modules
Simply add them to
sites/all/modules/custom and commit them to the repository.
##Shoutouts This would not be possible without the work of many others including:
- Drupal Composer project: http://drupal-composer.org/
- Preserve paths: https://github.com/derhasi/composer-preserve-paths
- Drupal Libraries Installer Plugin: https://github.com/generalredneck/drupal-libraries-installer-plugin
- Greg Anderson @ Pantheon https://pantheon.io/blog/example-repository-build-drupal-composer-travis
- Pedro Cambra http://cambrico.net/drupal/using-composer-to-build-your-drupal-7-projects
- J P Stacey http://www.jpstacey.info/blog/2014-08-17/drush-make-composer-one-module-time