Next Escape (nextescape.me) recommends escape rooms based on one of two search options:
- Users can enter their favorite escape room, and Next Escape will recommend similar escape rooms to their favorite.
- Users can enter their ideal escape room, and Next Escape will recommend similar escape rooms to their ideal.
- Difficulty Level: Very easy, Easy, Average, Difficult, Very Difficulty
- Success Rate: 0-100% (scaled so 1 unit = 20%)
- Fear Level: Not scary, A little scary, Scary, Very scary
- Time Limit: 30-120 minutes (scaled so 1 unit = 15 minutes)
- Travel Limit: Limit recommended rooms to those within user-entered travel limit (in miles) from their location where they're looking for escape rooms
- Group Size: Limit recommended rooms to those whose max number of players is greater than or equal to the size of the user's group
- Age Requirement: Limit recommended rooms to those whose age requirement is less than or equal to the youngest member of the user's group
Recommend rooms based on the smallest euclidean distance between user-entered rooms (their favorite or ideal room) and rooms that meet their filter requirements (described above)
If escape rooms were missing data for fear level or time limit, I imputed the most frequent values for those features: "Not scary" and "60 minutes". If escape rooms were missing data for difficulty level or success rate, I imputed predicted values from a linear regression: difficulty level regressed on success rate or vice versa.